oztony

What can I delete..?

40 posts in this topic

Thats why I changed to Apple 20+ years ago ...

Yep I finally replaced my 10 year old Macbook. I haven't reinstalled the system in it since new,

Well then, That really explains it doesn't it ? :yahoo:

Edited by contraman

For FOREX trading I had to get me a PC now as the MT4 software only runs propper on Windows.
So I got me a 2nd hand HP Laptop (no battery) with Win7 Ultimate from e-mall at just 7600 with Keyboard and HDMI-DVI cable.

The Laptop works perfect - 4GB Ram and 300GB HD is enough.
Started it and went to the "Install upgrades" section - ok no SP1 installed and more - so started that - nice that I have a 2MB/s connection but get ony 100-300Kb/s (!) from MS servers :(
Installed an antivirus software and scanned - OMG that machine was full of virusses.

Cleaning it from all the virusse nearly took 12 hours
Updates downloaded and installed for 2 days ! But then still got errors - did 1 day searching the internet how to "repair" those problems until I found the solution - after 4 days my machine was clean from virusses and had no upgrade problems. I dont remember how many times I had to restart the pc in that days I gues it was 10+ times overall.

I always thought about Apple during this 4 days - if theres an upgrade I just download the last DiscImage and run it - then this installs anything and just restarts the mac 1 time - done ! Takes usually 30minutes only.

But OK Windows was always to keep people busy ... Thats why you usually see mac users sitting in the bars with a drink as they have the time for doing that LOL

For the last 3 years i have been buying laptops with an SSD(solid state drive) which of course more money and less space which is not an issue for me..Running ccleaner,superantispy,disk clean up runs super fast..It takes 10 seconds to run a defrag....It sure keeps the weight down... 

For the last 3 years i have been buying laptops with an SSD(solid state drive) which of course more money and less space which is not an issue for me..Running ccleaner,superantispy,disk clean up runs super fast..It takes 10 seconds to run a defrag....It sure keeps the weight down...

You should never defrag an SSD, no need. Not the same as a mechanical hard drive. Defragging has no benefit on an SSD and might cause errors.

I put a 2T HD in my latest laptop. I can't see the advantage of the extra speed of an SSD. I rarely reboot my computers and the storage space is very useful to me.

You should never defrag an SSD, no need. Not the same as a mechanical hard drive. Defragging has no benefit on an SSD and might cause errors.

I guess its not a matter of doing damage from what my feeble mind can understand its more a matter of do I really need to do it?..Storage is not anissue for me..I have an LG gram 15.6" screen only weighing 2.2 lbs which is great because I always bring it now for traveling...SSD so much lighter and seems faster to me....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html

Go to c: drive, double click 'windows', scroll down and click 'temp', erase everything in the folder (some may be in use, ignore them), when done empty trash bin and check drive space again

search for "Disk Cleanup" in windows start menu. It can do temp and GBs of old updates which aren't in temp. Takes several hours but cleaner.

I put a 2T HD in my latest laptop. I can't see the advantage of the extra speed of an SSD. I rarely reboot my computers and the storage space is very useful to me.

I think to many it's more the reliability of an SSD over an HD. Isn't the power requirements less for an SSD. Also an SSD isn't susceptible to shock damage like an HD.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

On 2/5/2017 at 1:49 PM, thebob said:

the biggest speed gain is for multi-task. HDD is okay with large blocks of continuous data but extremely slow if you grab a little bit here and then a little bit there, as the head has to move physically. So if you do things like listening to music while installing new programs and backing up entire disk, HDDs would be dragged down to bottom because it's seeking all the time to handle different tasks requiring data on different locations. Defrag cannot help that.

1 person likes this

On 21/01/2017 at 7:58 PM, Goetz1965 said:

Guy ... Really ...Youre in the Philippines ... dont maintain - buy a new one !

Actually I am in Australia and the computer is a 4 terrabyte HP that cost $4000.00 Aud. a few years ago ...so please understand if I go with the maintain option......

1 person likes this