hello all

i think i signed up a few years ago but never made a post

learn more by reading than talking :-)

but a have a question concerning a valid passport....

i have permanent resident visas in a  number of countries including the philippines (13a)

and the other countries seemed to care less if you continued to hold a passport or not once you got

the permanent status, and rightly so. it allows to live and work there for life so why should they care 

if you continue to hold a valid passport.(unless of course you will be traveling)

now in the philippines, they always seem to care about that, even though my 13a acr was issued until

2019 and my passport expired in 2016 when i got acr and yes, i renewed my passport but if i hadnt i could have been 

in country with no valid passport but a valid acr until 2019. 

what im trying to find out is what if someone had their passport pulled (hopefully not for murder!) but for something like child support

or the new irs 50,000 debt law etc. if you are in the philippines and hold a valid 13a /acr what would happen then ?

any info appreciated 

thanks for great site

For a question like this you need to post it in it's own thread in the correct forum.  This has been done for you once but please try to remember that.

A visa is only valid WITH a valid passport.  If your pp expired you were in a dangerous situation though it is not likely you would have been caught without there being some reason for someone to look at your pp.  If your pp is voided by your country and immigration is notified to that effect you can expect a visit from immigration.  It is unlikely they will notify you of the cancellation however so you won't see it coming.  I can't comment on other countries in this regard but I suspect it would be the same.  And yes, it has happened for child support.  If that is your case or someone you know, it would be in their best interests to return and face the music.  Waiting for them to get you is not a good plan  and will likely cost you more in the long run.

Don't you need to show your valid passport when doing the annual check in at bi and giving them their P 310? This is a requirement to keep your ACR-I card valid.

I just read somewhere recently, just the fact your passport is cancelled this is grounds for you becoming and undesirable alien and being removed from the country.

Don't you need to show your valid passport when doing the annual check in at bi and giving them their P 310? This is a requirement to keep your ACR-I card valid.

I have never been asked for my passport during the yearly check in.

To the question of the OP I believe that the cancellation of your passport by your country is grounds for deportation.

It may be best if he make a trip to the American Embassy or the office here in Cebu to get the real facts instead on depending on this form for answers. And instead of a bunch of hypotheticals, be honest with them as far as status of passport due to child support or IRS debt. Either way it's not smart to stay in country if your here illegally. It's not like the US where you can run to a sanctuary city.

thanks replies

yes after i posted i recalled having to show my passport for AR

i wonder what would happen if you gave them an expired passport

when doing AR, im sure would scold you but then one could argue

that you are staying here forever and have no plans on leaving and

spending 100 dollars on a new passport would be an expensive

item you wouldnt use.

if they are that strict on having an unexpired passport then im surprised

they would issue acr beyond the validity of your passport

(sshhh better keep quiet, might give them ideas) 

ive been here for years and all my kids have long since grown up,

and from what ive read that child support penalty is fast, usually within

6 weeks theyll yank your passport.

it would be awful to be married here, have a house, a life made etc and then

be kicked out , losing all and never seeing your misses again !

i guess its always wise to have another citizenship/ passport to avoid problems 

Edited by Mujeriego

From the description,

hello all

i think i signed up a few years ago but never made a post

learn more by reading than talking :-)

but a have a question concerning a valid passport....

i have permanent resident visas in a number of countries including the philippines (13a)

and the other countries seemed to care less if you continued to hold a passport or not once you got

the permanent status, and rightly so. it allows to live and work there for life so why should they care

if you continue to hold a valid passport.(unless of course you will be traveling)

now in the philippines, they always seem to care about that, even though my 13a acr was issued until

2019 and my passport expired in 2016 when i got acr and yes, i renewed my passport but if i hadnt i could have been

in country with no valid passport but a valid acr until 2019.

what im trying to find out is what if someone had their passport pulled (hopefully not for murder!) but for something like child support

or the new irs 50,000 debt law etc. if you are in the philippines and hold a valid 13a /acr what would happen then ?

any info appreciated

thanks for great site

I have rarely had to use my passport for any business dealings here. Can't recall the last time, EXCEPT when dealing with the BI. During the annual report, for example, I will have my passport with me, but I don't recall giving to them when paying for the report. When I renewed my driver's license last time, no passport was needed.

In my experience, you could get by without a passport for a long while. But, you will eventually need to renew your ACR card and then the passport is required.

If you choose to let the ACR renewal lapse, then you are at risk of being in violation of the immigration rules. This could jeapordize the 13a visa and without a visa, you could be deported or sit in a BI detention center until you manage to pay any fines and fees, and THEN be deported.

I don't know how the state department handles a reissue of a passport that has been revoked. If it for indebtedness, it is common for repayment plans to be set up to avoid more penalties and even criminal prosecution. As suggested, you should ask the embassy staff.

Also, from what I have read, the individual is allowed to return on the revoked passport. As well, if the individual enters into a repayment plan, the passport is reinstated.

Good luck.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 1

thanks replies

yes after i posted i recalled having to show my passport for AR

i wonder what would happen if you gave them an expired passport

when doing AR, im sure would scold you but then one could argue

that you are staying here forever and have no plans on leaving and

spending 100 dollars on a new passport would be an expensive

item you wouldnt use.

if they are that strict on having an unexpired passport then im surprised

they would issue acr beyond the validity of your passport

(sshhh better keep quiet, might give them ideas) 

and from what ive read that child support penalty is fast, usually within

6 weeks theyll yank your passport.

it would be awful to be married here, have a house, a life made etc and then

be kicked out , losing all and never seeing your misses again !

i guess its always wise to have another citizenship/ passport to avoid problems 

Or just support your children I suppose.

• Like 1

Or just support your children I suppose.