contraman

Globe overtakes Smart

35 posts in this topic

Globe Telecom, long the second largest mobile operator in the Philippines, pushed ahead of PLDT’s mobile unit Smart in Q4, and clocked up more than ten million subscriber additions through 2016.

Globe had been slowly gaining on the market leader since 2012 when it had a 32 per cent market share. However, over the past two years it rapidly closed the gap as Smart shed 7.8 million customers. Globe finished 2016 with 66.6 million subscribers compared with Smart’s 62.1 million, giving Globe a 52 per cent market share according to GSMA Intelligence.

The operator began to close in on Smart in 2015, when Globe registered 12.2 million net additions and Smart lost nearly five million mobile customers. Smart’s market share since Q4 2015 fell from 61 per cent to 48 per cent by end-2016.

PLDT, which saw profitability and market share drop sharply, in November announced a management reshuffle in an effort to turn around its prolonged slump.

The move came after the operator reported a 49 per cent decline in its Q3 profit.

Both companies have faced slowing growth, with PLTD’s service revenue for the first nine months of 2016 declining 3 per cent to PHP119 billion ($2.4 billion), with cellular services falling 8 per cent to PHP66.6 billion. Globe’s revenue for the July-September period was flat at PHP29.5 billion, with increases in home broadband and corporate data offsetting a 2 per cent decline in mobile service revenue to PHP2.25 billion and a 10 per cent drop in fixed-line voice to PHP898 million.

The two operators, temporarily setting aside their rivalry in an attempt to slow the entry of a third player, in May purchased the telecoms assets of San Miguel Corp and both have rushed to roll out base stations on the 700MHz band to expand coverage and boost capacity.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

66.1 plus 66.6 million subscribers. 132.7 million people have subscribed to cell phone service. OK this is reality vs statistics showing something is not right.

Globe sim cards expire after 6 months of no load, whereas Smart sim cards do not expire for one year, thus I would like to know if Globe is counting the phone numbers they give out as subscribers or those that are actually active, I am betting on phone numbers only.  

66.1 plus 66.6 million subscribers. 132.7 million people have subscribed to cell phone service. OK this is reality vs statistics showing something is not right.

Lots of Filipinos have dual sim phones and use both services.

4 people like this

The two operators, temporarily setting aside their rivalry in an attempt to slow the entry of a third player, in May purchased the telecoms assets of San Miguel Corp and both have rushed to roll out base stations on the 700MHz band to expand coverage and boost capacity.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I guess the word monopoly is legal here...what about the word collusion..stupid me..Thats why either company has not said  that service will improve to world standards to best the other..

Edited by liquido

Lots of Filipinos have dual sim phones and use both services.

Still 66 million people have dual sim phones. The country has 105 million people.

My wife switched to Globe.  I could hardly ever get in touch with her when I called from Guam when she had Smart service. Since she switched to Globe, calls get completed and voice quality is much better.

Edited by sugbu777
1 person likes this

Still 66 million people have dual sim phones. The country has 105 million people.

Nearly 30 million of those are below 12 years old and most probably don't have a cell phone...

1 person likes this

My wife switched to Globe.  I could hardly ever get in touch with her when I called from Guam when she had Smart service. Since she switched to Globe, calls get completed and voice quality is much better.

well its a location deal.  Some places Globe has the better connection n others its Smart.   Also now  Internet Data is very important.. which company has the best data plan and fastest service for location.     Also  note that  SUN is part of the Smart network ... I wonder if you include SUN subscribers into the mix what the numbers would be? 

well its a location deal. Some places Globe has the better connection n others its Smart.

I don't dispute that. In her location, when she first got a phone Smart was better. She and all of the relatives and neighbors nearby had Smart. It started degrading and they shifted to Globe when it's service improved.

Edited by sugbu777
1 person likes this