• Announcements

• Paul

New Members' Forum   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

thebob

2016 Was Second Hottest Year For US In More Than 120 Years of Record Keeping

14 posts in this topic

2016 Was Second Hottest Year For US In More Than 120 Years of Record Keeping 

Last year was the second hottest year for the United States in more than 120 years of record keeping, according to the National Climatic Data Center, marking 20 above-average years in a row. While Georgia and Alaska recorded their hottest year, every state had a temperature ranking at least in the top seven. Climate Central reports: The announcement comes a week before the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which released the U.S. data, and NASA are expected to announce that 2016 set the record for the hottest year globally. Both the global record and the U.S. near-record are largely attributable to greenhouse gas-driven warming of the planet. In addition to the pervasive warmth over the last year, the U.S. also had to deal with 15 weather and climate disasters that each caused more than $1 billion in damage. Together, they totaled more than $46 billion in losses and included several disastrous rain-driven flooding events. These events, along with continued drought, lay bare the challenge for the country to learn how to cope with and prepare for a changing climate, said Deke Arndt, the climate monitoring chief of NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information. The temperature for the contiguous U.S. was 2.9 degrees Fahrenheit above the 20th century average for 2016, displacing 2015 and ranking only behind 2012, when searing heat waves hit the middle of the country. More notable than the back-to-back second place years, Arndt said, was that 2016 was the 20th consecutive warmer-than-normal year for the U.S. and that the five hottest years for the country have all happened since 1998. Those streaks mirror global trends, with 15 of the 16 hottest years on record occurring in the 21st century and no record cold year globally since 1911.

I hope 2017 cools off a little... I think it will.

Both the global record and the U.S. near-record are largely attributable to greenhouse gas-driven warming of the planet.

So terrible, now we just need to get China to fix it.

1 person likes this

Nuclear winter might save us. That might not be too far.

Edited by richard_ost
2 people like this

There was a lot of hot air around in 2016 coming out of peoples mouths too. :wink:

3 people like this

I am not real good at math but the earth is 4.5 billion years old so 120 years is what percentage of 4.5 billion.  In the last few billion years the earth has been much warmer and or covered in ice, the sea's have been higher and lower all without AL G.

What sets me off most is when there theory's are questioned their response is to talk down to people insinuating that they are too stupid to understand.

The King is naked.                                                            

6 people like this

dang we need to hire someone and give them a few billion to study the problem so we can adjust the temp . ... I hope they fix it before the next 120 years is over or I will be upset

4 people like this

I am not real good at math but the earth is 4.5 billion years old so 120 years is what percentage of 4.5 billion.  In the last few billion years the earth has been much warmer and or covered in ice, the sea's have been higher and lower all without AL G.

What sets me off most is when there theory's are questioned their response is to talk down to people insinuating that they are too stupid to understand.

The King is naked.                                                            

Hope this doesn't turn into a climate change debate. There is no denying green house effect, but you certainly are right that there are things that have much bigger effect than that on the climate. Just a slight change on the orbit or the angle earth faces the sun has major effect. Let the scientists debate what causes the climate change, but there's no denying it is changing, it always has.

3 people like this

Memory is an odd thing, In my pre teen years, pre 1960 and I remember tons of snow, digging snow caves in huge banks of snow. Then as an adult watching the Swains ski slopes go from multi month skiing to almost no skiing some winters. Can't deny the change.   Back to my youth, the old folks said it ran it 10 year cycles.  

Scientist claim whatever will get them the most funding!             

3 people like this

Humans never appreciate what they have. What we need is some major volcanic eruptions to get a new mini-ice age started. Every major active volcanic period on Earth has been accompanied by global cooling (sometimes in a major way). Even minor eruptions, such as Mount St. Helens or Mount Pinatubo set off three-year cooling cycles. There are plenty of volcanoes that could block the sun for a lot longer than that. Then, when people are dying from famines because it is too cold to grow abundant crops in the world's agricultural areas, they will long for the good old warm times.

1 person likes this