Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,056 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics
  • Local time: 10:15 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

I hope I don't step on anybody's toes here, but I just have to make a public endorsement of a local business. If someone you know needs a Philippine passport, my suggestion is to use Southwind Travel at JY Mall. Kevin is their rep down at the DFA in Cebu and he is one of the most on the ball and with it employees I have ever run across when dealing with anything travel related.

We had visited a few travel agent sand wanted to use a service but they said that the passport could only be renewed in Manila because the office here only handles births in Cebu and they wanted 1500 pesos. So off to the DFA office in person. We met Kevin 3 weeks ago when my wife and I stumbled in for a passport renewal at the DFA. Distraught at a lack of priority numbers early in the morning, a security guard referred us to Kevin. Kevin quoted a fee of 1300 pesos, 200 pesos less than the other services so we went with it. We came back at 1pm and he was on the ball, I noticed that he seemed to work just a little faster and more efficiently than the other travel agency reps. :lmao: He didn't ask for a dime until it came time to pay the fees.

He was with us every step of the way and handled all of the paper pushing and irritating bureaucracy so it was definitely money well spent. We chose to pick it up at the DFA(we need it to be vias'd asap) today and he helped make sure that we would indeed get it on the day it was supposed to be released(that doesn't usually happen, they usually run a day or two behind).

I have already referred two people to Kevin who need passports. Anyways, I only know Kevin from meeting him at the DFA. I can only judge him on the work he did to help us get the passport renewal. All I can say is that I usually don't feel comfortable enough recommending a business in the Philippines, but in this case, I will. He is the one to contact if you need a Philippine passport.

Thanked by 1 Member:
zelhan

#2 misty

misty
  • +Global Mod
  • 773 posts
  • 62 thanks
  • 25 topics
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

http://www.telephone...es/aboutus.html

#3 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,056 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

http://www.telephone...es/aboutus.html

That only works if you go to Manila for your personal appearance. Remember, for all renewals, you have to go in person to the DFA office. If you apply through that service or the other online one then you need to make that appearance in Manila.

#4 samatm

samatm
  • Sponsor
  • 3,326 posts
  • 534 thanks
  • 193 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

Thanks Penguin!

Ok thats good info to know. My son will be needing a renewal soon. Should we first contact the agency at JY, have photos made, then do we have to go to DFA? And is that p1300 the total cost ..or the service fee? How much is the PI passport renewal altogether? Thanks again for the suggestion.

#5 misty

misty
  • +Global Mod
  • 773 posts
  • 62 thanks
  • 25 topics

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

That only works if you go to Manila for your personal appearance. Remember, for all renewals, you have to go in person to the DFA office. If you apply through that service or the other online one then you need to make that appearance in Manila.

I recently renewed my passport and I didn't went to Manila. I only paid 500 pesos for the renewal. I did my renewal in Iloilo City. Seems like they are running some sort of a scam there in Cebu. Most probably they get a percentage off from Kevin's transactions.

#6 Daisy

Daisy
  • Elite Member
  • 1,600 posts
  • 220 thanks
  • 130 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

I hope I don't step on anybody's toes here, but I just have to make a public endorsement of a local business. If someone you know needs a Philippine passport, my suggestion is to use Southwind Travel at JY Mall. Kevin is their rep down at the DFA in Cebu and he is one of the most on the ball and with it employees I have ever run across when dealing with anything travel related.

We had visited a few travel agent sand wanted to use a service but they said that the passport could only be renewed in Manila because the office here only handles births in Cebu and they wanted 1500 pesos. So off to the DFA office in person. We met Kevin 3 weeks ago when my wife and I stumbled in for a passport renewal at the DFA. Distraught at a lack of priority numbers early in the morning, a security guard referred us to Kevin. Kevin quoted a fee of 1300 pesos, 200 pesos less than the other services so we went with it. We came back at 1pm and he was on the ball, I noticed that he seemed to work just a little faster and more efficiently than the other travel agency reps. :lmao: He didn't ask for a dime until it came time to pay the fees.

He was with us every step of the way and handled all of the paper pushing and irritating bureaucracy so it was definitely money well spent. We chose to pick it up at the DFA(we need it to be vias'd asap) today and he helped make sure that we would indeed get it on the day it was supposed to be released(that doesn't usually happen, they usually run a day or two behind).

I have already referred two people to Kevin who need passports. Anyways, I only know Kevin from meeting him at the DFA. I can only judge him on the work he did to help us get the passport renewal. All I can say is that I usually don't feel comfortable enough recommending a business in the Philippines, but in this case, I will. He is the one to contact if you need a Philippine passport.

Hi Peguin!

Usually traveling agencies asked 1500 pesos for passport application/ renewal. However, you don't have to go to Manila for it. When DFA just started campaigning for passport change from green color to the maroon one, they said it is machine readable now, it will usually take about 25 working days for the 500 pesos payment and 750 for the 10 working days rush application. I remember I was posting this campaign a year ago because of my friend from DFA. I just don't know if the waiting period is reduce now because I was one of those who applied for the new passport earlier.
By the way it is only the processing of the new Filipino passport that is being done in Manila but you could apply it in any DFA office scattered in all regions of the country. The applicants don't need to go to Manila to apply for it.
Paying 1300 is a good price for services rendered but if he insists on the Manila trip thing that's taking advantage already by giving wrong information. By the way, renewal is a lot easier done because all you have to submit is the old passport and the application form and pictures provided there is no amendment!

Edited by Daisy, 16 February 2009 - 11:31 PM.

#7 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,056 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:45 AM

Misty, Daisy, can you read the posts before making a reply that makes absolutely no sense? :D

#1 Misty, you paid 500 pesos for a renewal and it took 25 working days. :) That's more than one month. You also lined up at the DFA office and fought for a priority number, or you would if you were going to Cebu. The 1300 peso fee includes the 750 peso Overtime processing fee and means that you don't have to line up at the office. That might be a big issue in Iloilo, but it is in Cebu and Manila. Most travel agencies charge 1500 pesos for the service. 1300 is a better fee.

#2 Daisy, my response was to Misty. The service link she posted is for an agency that requires you to go to Manila for a personal appearance. It's hardly a convenient one, right? The 1300 pesos is for service right here in Cebu, with no need to go to Manila. (Unless of course you weren't born in Cebu or can't prove you are living and working in Cebu) Kevin isn't insisting anyone go to Manila, Misty is the one suggesting that. She suggested that everyone needing a passport should go to Manila to get it. :) Pure bullocks.

About the new Maroon passport: It's 15 working days for rush/overtime processing and 25 working days for regular processing. What does that really mean? If you would have applied today, it would be scheduled for release on March 10th for rush and March 24th for regular. If you are not in a rush and don't care about lining up for a passport at 6am in the morning just to be told by some DFA worker that you don't have a piece of paper come back tomorrow, then you can happily pay 500 pesos for a renewal. Start applying today and you might just get it by the 1st of April. :)

You can indeed apply at any DFA office in the Philippines, depending on those offices requirements. For example, Cebu DFA office won't let you apply for a passport or renewal unless you were a) born in Cebu or nearby provinces :lmao: work in Cebu or nearby province c) live in Cebu or nearby province. You have to be able to prove a,b or c. It might not sound hard, BUT a friend's mother needs to go back to Mindanao to apply for her passport because she lives with her daughter, has no bills in her name and doesn't work. What did it take for our renewal? A letter from my wife's job, two recent paystubs and her work id.

Thanked by 1 Member:
zelhan

#8 Penguin

Penguin
  • Inactive Member
  • 1,056 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • 36 topics

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:59 AM

Thanks Penguin!

Ok thats good info to know. My son will be needing a renewal soon. Should we first contact the agency at JY, have photos made, then do we have to go to DFA? And is that p1300 the total cost ..or the service fee? How much is the PI passport renewal altogether? Thanks again for the suggestion.

Hi Samatm!

Yeah, you can contact the agency directly. It's 2nd floor JY. I actually havent visited the agency because I dealt directly with Kevin. The p1300 is for everything, it includes the service fee and the fee for overtime processing of the passport. You can have photos made before you go to the DFA, but you can also get them done there inside the DFA.

Basically go down to the travel agency, they will give you an app to fill out and then you fill it out. You will line up at the DFA at 1pm. The people going at 1pm are doing two things, either they are picking up their passport or they are getting a new passport/renewal through a travel agent. Mornings are strictly for individuals submitting applications, but there are only 200 priority numbers issued for the day.

My suggestion is to go at about 130pm. There is no line to enter the building. All you do is find Kevin(or if you choose another agency then that agency's rep), get the pictures taken and wait to be called for the encoding and fingerprinting. Once the fingerprinting is finished, you can go home. you are finished. You will probably spend about an hour at the DFA. Most of that time is spent waiting on plastic benches waiting for the encoding and the fingerprinting.

If you need the passport right away, you can go wait on release day at the DFA(not suggested), or just pick it up the next day at the travel agency.

Easy peasy.

Edited by Penguin, 17 February 2009 - 04:01 AM.

#9 Bob Ward

Bob Ward

Talisay Rocks

• Banned
  • 3,856 posts
  • 1186 thanks
  • 211 topics
  • My Blood Type:A+
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

Kristine needs to get her passport renewed so we did some research on the process. Here is my take on the issue.

The only machine to produce the new passports is in Manila.

I think the travel agents doing the renewals are embellishing the story a bit to make it sound like you need to go to Manila in person. Or there has simply been a miscommunication or misinterpretation of the facts that has been perpetuated. I know which one sounds more likely to me.

The telephone express service Misty posted does not require a personal appearance at any DFA office. They have an agreement with the DFA which authorized some LBC offices to do the verifications and send the required signature and thumb print electronically. BUT they do not list their fees on the web site. I have emailed them about the fee schedule.

Doing the application in person at the DFA is simply a matter of time versus money. It's the same with a visa extension. If you don't like waiting for service, pay an agent to do it. If the guy Penguin found is cheaper and is reliable, so be it, that's a good thing.

I personally find it a bit suspect that the the DFA will make special considerations for agents. The fact [stated by Penguin] that the afternoons are reserved for pickups and agents only smells heavily of collusion to me.

#10 udonthani

udonthani
  • Banned
  • 8,769 posts
  • 1545 thanks
  • 403 topics
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

passports in the Philippines are cheap. In Cambodia it's $150 to get one.

it's obviously no big trick for Filipinos to get their hands on passports, seeing as they use them so often, being among the highest proportions of the world's people that aren't even living in the country where they were born. Somehow, hundreds of millions of Filipinos have managed over the years to get the necessary documentation required to leave the country without even dreaming of needing the services of a kano called Kevin.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Your Company Name