Dafey

Typhoon Season?

13 posts in this topic

Being a native of Florida I am accustomed to tropical storms/cyclones, though the Pacific is a much larger breading ground for these. Back home hurricane season runs from June 1st - November 30th. But every time I turn around in the Phils there seems to be one more coming !!!

What is the official Typhoon Season and what is the realistic Typhoon Season?

Also, are there defined seasons other than the rainy season and the dry season?

Typhoon season is generally June through November, but storms can come through anytime.

5 people like this

This is for WestPac in general, not just d'Phils, but should give you a good idear:

post-5791-0-02216900-1483873273_thumb.jpg

7 people like this

Still...the season is less definitive than in the other hemisphere. My guess is the pacific is warmer than the atlantic.

thanks

Typhoon season is generally June through November, but storms can come through anytime.

exept February...apparently 

There's the basic reason why mostly in the summer time

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/G4.html

There's an interesting study about the effects of La Nina and El Nino to typhoons:

http://forms2.rms.com/rs/729-DJX-565/images/effects_of_the_el_nino_southern_oscillation.pdf

I remember couple years back when La Nina had a severe effect on the PI there was a very strong (almost super) typhoon that hit Northern Luzon during mid May. I happened to be up north that time and the locals said that it's not that common...

1 person likes this

I remember couple years back when La Nina had a severe effect on the PI there was a very strong (almost super) typhoon that hit Northern Luzon during mid May. I happened to be up north that time and the locals said that it's not that common...

Just remembered, it was El Nino back then and not La Nina... Maybe the frequent rains in november and december 2011 in northern Luzon were La Nina? Don't know...

There's the basic reason why mostly in the summer time

Summer time in the Philippines is April and May, unlike for example the USA where it's June through August.

Typhoon season in the Philippines coincides with the rainy season (June-December), not summer (April-May).

1 person likes this

Summer time in the Philippines is April and May, unlike for example the USA where it's June through August.

Typhoon season in the Philippines coincides with the rainy season (June-December), not summer (April-May).

You are correct. I refered to the "American summer" as does the question on that website: "Why do tropical cyclones occur primarily in the summer and autumn?"

As it is explained on that site...

While one would intuitively expect tropical cyclones to peak right at the time of maximum solar radiation (late June for the tropical Northern Hemisphere and late December for the tropical Southern Hemisphere), it takes several more weeks for the oceans to reach their warmest temperatures. The atmospheric circulation in the tropics also reaches its most pronounced (and favorable for tropical cyclones) at the same time. This time lag of the tropical ocean and atmospheric circulation is analogous to the daily cycle of surface air temperatures - they are warmest in mid-afternoon, yet the sun's incident radiation peaks at noon.

During the aftermath of super typhoon Yolanda there was a significant amount of discussion going around about weather being modified. This was allegedly for political reasons. A sort of Jim Carey moment.

A patent has been issued, I believe in the mid 1980s for such a technology.

The technology is covered under US Patent 4,686,605 on the “Method and Apparatus for Altering a Region in the Earth’s Atmosphere, Ionosphere, and/or Magnetosphere.”

This link is just one of many describing the concept.

http://www.agriculturedefensecoalition.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/15C_Eastlund_HAARP_Eastlund_February_25_2010_General_Information.pdf

No, I don't have foil hats when traveling outside my faraday cafe home.

I just like the comment attributed to Mark Twain about how so many complain but few do anything about the weather.

exept February...apparently 

Not trying to be pedantic here, just helpful...

There have been 36 February typhoons in the Northwest Pacific since 1900.

Notable are:

Typhoon Nancy which battered Samar and Catanduanes in February,1970 .

Super typhoon Mitag which formed in February 2002 (but actually peaked in March) petered out before reaching d'Phils.

And most recently February 2015's typhoon Higos which turned poleward east of the Marianas.

Last year, 2016, the typhoon season got off to a slow start and the first named storm (Nepartak) didn't form until early July and then affected mostly Taiwan and mainland China.

Executive summary: "Ya never know!".

1 person likes this