I spoke with the management team at Sedona Parc.  They have stated that short term (less than 6 months) renting will no longer be permitted.

This is specific to Sedona Parc, and isn't an Ayala Land restriction for their other developments.

A lot of the owners are unhappy about this, since many bought units for investment only purposes, and now they suddenly have a restriction which is really very harsh.  Personally I couldn't be happier.

Sounds like maybe some bargains may be available soon or some owners are going to have to change their business plan to at least 6 month leases. Maybe tell them to list them on LinC. :wink:

• Like 1

Maybe tell them to list them on LinC.

The tightwads on LinC are too busy looking for mansions, with all mod cons, for 10,000 pesos a month!

• Like 5

The tightwads on LinC are too busy looking for mansions, with all mod cons, for 10,000 pesos a month!

Yes, but then there are some of us who have the money to buy a bargain and a few years back I would have been a buyer but now since we will never live full time in the Philippines, all we need is one condo unit for our stays and the wife and I are happy where we are, and where airbnb would most likely be allowed.  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! Are the locations on airbnb map totally wrong, intentionally?

I actually know the location of Sedona Parc, Avelon and Quest but can't find them on the right spots. Description of location is also wrong, some as south as Osmena circle could be put into Cebu Business Park... :idontknow:

Yes, the locations are not supposed to be accurate.  Many of the listings won't specify the actual building either, but most will have some way of telling - exterior photo, lobby or pool photo, etc.

Edit:  I should probably say not meant to be precisely accurate.

Edited by Mikal

Yes, the locations are not supposed to be accurate.  Many of the listings won't specify the actual building either, but most will have some way of telling - exterior photo, lobby or pool photo, etc.

Edit:  I should probably say not meant to be precisely accurate.

With some of these OTA sites, the location the map suggests is often hundreds of meters away fro the actual building.

We tell, for instance, Agoda, that our address is cnr of Mabini and Luna streets and we move the map pointer to the exact location.

From all this, the OTA decides our hotel in on the National highway 200 meters away.

200 meters is not important on Camiguin island but in Cebu city, It's way off.

KonC

Sounds like maybe some bargains may be available soon or some owners are going to have to change their business plan to at least 6 month leases. Maybe tell them to list them on LinC. :wink:

Big bargaining tool now for expat looking to rent a condo from an owner . 3 months rent in advance for a 6 month lease paid in full might be all it takes after the airbandb weekend influx of funds are gone . Or like you say , a bargain to buy

• Like 1

Whilst it may be possible to grab a bargain off an expat who was drawn into the condo 'investment' idea, it is highly unlikely that there will be any sudden fire sale situation.

In the meantime, condo sales seem to be booming, judging by the amount of construction going on.  And remember, the building costs here are mostly fueled by pre-sold units.  This isn't developers using their own money to gamble on sales.

There seems to be a determined, but misguided group, who have his fantasy that condo prices are going to collapse, and that is when they will make a move.  They will die in their rented accommodation waiting for this to happen.

AirBnB is still a very small part of the rental market here, and so far, only Sedona Parc seems to have banned short term rentals of less than 6 months.  It is entirely possible that this will be extended to other low density, higher end towers.   Having engaged with the management, they have arrived at the conclusion that short term renters are just too problematic.  They mentioned loud parties in the units, ladies of 'ill repute' (my wording) knocking on unit doors during the night, rubbish and food being thrown out of unit windows, and these 'guests' being generally rude, demanding and abusive to staff.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 2

AirBnB is still a very small part of the rental market here, and so far, only Sedona Parc seems to have banned short term rentals of less than 6 months.  It is entirely possible that this will be extended to other low density, higher end towers.   Having engaged with the management, they have arrived at the conclusion that short term renters are just too problematic.  They mentioned loud parties in the units, ladies of 'ill repute' (my wording) knocking on unit doors during the night, rubbish and food being thrown out of unit windows, and these 'guests' being generally rude, demanding and abusive to staff.

sounds like great exaggeration?? Have you witnessed?

From the agents I only heard about africans stealing TV and koreans packing themselves like sardines. Typical college student behavior, but airbnb attracts those types too?

sounds like great exaggeration?? Have you witnessed?From the agents I only heard about africans stealing TV and koreans packing themselves like sardines. Typical college student behavior, but airbnb attracts those types too?

You missed the point. I am talking about short term renters, not specifically AirBnB tenants. But you should be aware that AirBnB don't qualify or guarantee their tenants, they simply match properties with customers and take a fee as the middlemen.

I've been in SE Asia long enough to see tourists acting as if the normal expectations of civilised behaviour don't apply to them.

• Like 1