Skywalker    19,177

Does your building also have a hotel in it? Like This

Nope.  Just residential condominiums.

Art    6,532

My friend was telling me that her body corporate in her new condo on the Gold Coast, Qld, has a rule that owners can only sublet for a minium of three months.  She was hoping to supplement her income by running an airbnb rental while she traveled.   Gold Coast is popular with travellers.  

I also saw on the French news that airbnb is creating a resident rental vacuum in Paris something like 13,000 less people now because owners are renting out to airbnb travellers rather than long term residents, more tourists less residents I can see Paris doing something about airbnb one day.  

• Like 1

rep1    1,315

Can they just redefine the restrictions like that? No need of owners' meeting or voting? But what's the point? Unless the guests have sex in hallway or elevator...?

• Like 1

+Monsoon    27,589

Can they just redefine the restrictions like that? No need of owners' meeting or voting? But what's the point? Unless the guests have sex in hallway or elevator...?

The rule was probably in place just not sufficiently enforced. Such a rarity in the Philippines!

rep1    1,315

indeed it's there, but how do they distinguish friends from paid guests? it's not commercial if you don't register ;)

Jawny    3,072

indeed it's there, but how do they distinguish friends from paid guests? it's not commercial if you don't register ;)

That's the same concept as a taxi driver wanting the customer to travel "off meter". The revenue of the taxi fares is likely used as a basis for tax revenue for the local and national government. Same if someone is renting their home for income but not paying the taxes.

As well, the frequent traffic of itinerant guests creates issues for local residents (more traffic, more garbage, etc).

Buildings that are used in a commercial way have some safety requirements not commonly found in private dwellings. Fire extringuisers, building security etc.

• Like 1

Mikal    270

Well for starters, is the owner going to be there to greet their 'friends'?  Remember, a lot of these units are owned by folks that may not live there or even in Cebu.  And even 'friends' might be required to register in many of these buildings, right?  They certainly were back when I had lots of different 'friends' visiting.   My impression is that it is quite easy for security and front desk folks to pick out the people that they don't know as being tenants or known 'guests'.  At least that's the case in the buildings that I know well.  I don't think it's particularly difficult for them to shut the short-term stuff down, at least the majority of it.

• Like 1

rep1    1,315

As well, the frequent traffic of itinerant guests creates issues for local residents (more traffic, more garbage, etc).

there can't be a lot of traffic. It's just that condos here are not designed for full capacity, with every units occupied all the time.

I don't know the exact figure but my agent told me most of studio owners don't even live inside. So perhaps only 5% is expected? In that case a dozen of guests could mean double load on all services?

It's still better than room sharing.

soupeod    868

Interestingly, my condo building has just issued a directive saying that AirBnB tenants are no longer allowed, and that the units are not to be let out on short term contracts.

Lettings must be for 6 months or more.

They are stating the property must only be used for residential purposes clause as their reasoning.

It appears, from what I have been able to gather, that a foreigner stayed here recently, for a week.  During which time he brought many girls back to the condo, and caused a lot of noise and annoyance to other residents.

I would agree with the policy if I had a condo. 

• Like 1