Photo
- - - - -

AirBnB

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Skywalker

Skywalker

Living in Cebu for 5 years. That's a lot of Cheval Rouge.

• Elite
  • 10,703 posts
  • 2808 thanks
  • 258 topics
  • Local time: 04:32 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 07 January 2017 - 7:41 AM

Interestingly, my condo building has just issued a directive saying that AirBnB tenants are no longer allowed, and that the units are not to be let out on short term contracts.

Lettings must be for 6 months or more.

They are stating the property must only be used for residential purposes clause as their reasoning.

It appears, from what I have been able to gather, that a foreigner stayed here recently, for a week.  During which time he brought many girls back to the condo, and caused a lot of noise and annoyance to other residents.

• Aerosick, Lee, Kahuna and 4 others like this

#2 TequilaSunset

TequilaSunset

Cebunoob

• Elite
  • 217 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • 14 topics
  • Local time: 12:32 AM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Never visited

Posted 07 January 2017 - 7:52 AM

The other residents are just pissed because he didn't share... 

• streak03, batman2525, nsx and 1 other like this

#3 Monsoon

Monsoon

Do you live here? Or can you not afford to leave?

• +Global Mod
  • 17,053 posts
  • 3632 thanks
  • 326 topics

Posted 07 January 2017 - 8:06 AM

Interestingly, my condo building has just issued a directive saying that AirBnB tenants are no longer allowed, and that the units are not to be let out on short term contracts.

They are stating the property must only be used for residential purposes clause as their reasoning.

It appears, from what I have been able to gather, that a foreigner stayed here recently, for a week.  During which time he brought many girls back to the condo, and caused a lot of noise and annoyance to other residents.

I would want the same rules in play for any residential unit that I would live in. You find similar rules in higher end units in the PH. 

My unit in BGC has a structured move in process that is enforced so short term Airbnb type lets wouldn't be feasible. 

• oscarpears, Skywalker, tkt and 1 other like this

there is some serious evil in these here forums...

#4 BossHog

BossHog
  • Elite
  • 11,740 posts
  • 3207 thanks
  • 333 topics

Posted 07 January 2017 - 8:07 AM

Funny, I was just thinking of utilizing an AirBnB unit for a couple of weeks

when i come to Cebu to do my limited engagement 'pop-up' artisanal dry cleaning and valet pressing.

Edited by BossHog, 07 January 2017 - 8:10 AM .

• Kahuna, Buko Beach and Enuff like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
Buko Beach , Kahuna

#5 Jawny

Jawny

LiveInLeyte

• Elite
  • 3,302 posts
  • 762 thanks
  • 107 topics
  • My Blood Type:I will not donate

Posted 07 January 2017 - 8:43 AM

I have a family member living in a condo in Seattle for decades. She had a nice place, a great central location to the city etc. over the many years, the city became more popular as a business as well as vacation travel destination. As a result, there was a greater need for short term rentals, i.e., hotel rooms. Enterprising families would use AirBnB as a way to gain a bit of income with little investment.

This was not lost on investors looking to expand their investment portfolios. So, gradually, an Australian investment group bought up condos as they became vacant and began using them as AirBnB rentals. From an investment point of view, it was great. From a neighbor point of view it sucked.

Now the elevators were constantly crowded and in use. The small lobby was frequently packed with luggage and tourists with little knowledge of English (or manners). There were other difficulties in sharing the condo with so many strangers, and even the security became an issue as more and more strangers were appearing at all hours.

This was happening in other parts of the city, so it became an "us versus them" political issue. There were few regulations which pertained to the situation, so condos with minimal oversight in the coop groups were slow to react. As well, some neighborhoods became active with loads of traffic and such.

The two sides were the families (and investors) wanting to have a bit of extra income and the other side were the residents wanting the status quo, or at least better management of the changes.

The city legislature was caught in the middle, wanting to allow more beds for the travellers and still protect the citizen (voters).

The classic rock and hard place.

Edited by Jawny, 07 January 2017 - 8:44 AM .

• RayJ, Ozepete and oscarpears like this

#6 Goetz1965

Goetz1965
  • Elite
  • 451 posts
  • 59 thanks
  • 29 topics
  • My Blood Type:B-
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 07 January 2017 - 8:56 AM

The government and the condo companies now see how much money they loose through AirBnB (and Uber and other) and now look for ways to get their piece of that cake !

Like that they want to increase the Tax on meat in germany now (from 7% actual to 19%) as meat is so unhealthy ...
Just think that germany actually has a migrant problem that costs billions too ... but theres sure no connection ...

#7 aussiekangaroo

aussiekangaroo
  • Elite
  • 400 posts
  • 67 thanks
  • 33 topics
  • Local time: 06:32 PM
  • Philippines:Visited 1 to 5 trips

Posted 07 January 2017 - 9:07 AM

I have 4 condo units but only 1 on airbnb currently. Would love to know which building it is that has banned Airbnb guests?

#8 TequilaSunset

TequilaSunset

Cebunoob

• Elite
  • 217 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • 14 topics
  • Local time: 12:32 AM
  • Philippines:Never visited

Posted 07 January 2017 - 9:11 AM

I have 4 condo units but only 1 on airbnb currently. Would love to know which building it is that has banned Airbnb guests?

All the ones I have stayed in ;)

#9 Mikal

Mikal
  • Elite
  • 290 posts
  • 42 thanks
  • 14 topics
  • My Blood Type:Don't know
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Wow, that's going to make things difficult for some folks.  We spent a couple of months in your building.  Pretty quiet place, but sure, lots of Koreano moving in and out constantly.  Some owners there play by the rules and have you check-in/out at the front desk, but others bypass that and tell you to say you are visiting the owner.  

I know one guy that owns 3 units there, none of them were on long-term leases although he does keep trying.

• Skywalker likes this

#10 Fergie

Fergie
  • Elite
  • 249 posts
  • 63 thanks
  • 21 topics
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

Does your building also have a hotel in it?

6 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Magpie (1)

Copyright © 2017 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea