Tullioz

A Wet End to the Week. Flooding for Some?

71 posts in this topic

Light showers in northwestern Leyte last night.  Overcast today with a few sprinkles.  Looks like the heavy rains pretty much bypassed us, or haven't hit yet.

Posted (edited)

Man, we're getting just soaked. Constant heavy downpour without interruption since 3 am.

Just moderate winds though. The coconuts palms are dancing and the banana trees are still fine.

Looks like DumaWeird will catch some of this rain come tomorrow.

post-5791-0-09280600-1483841279_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-80447200-1483841871_thumb.gif

We're on that island just to the NW of that central white and black dot. Think we're almost off the scale for rainfall, lol.

post-5791-0-14959300-1483841378_thumb.png

Detailed Pagasa weather bulletins here:

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/index.php/tropical-cyclones/weather-bulletins

Edited by BossHog

It is certainly wet and windy here in Day-asan. We moored the boat up close to the shore on a short line and anchor and dropped it's canopy due to the strong gusts, so now we just wait out the storm. We have plenty of provisions, water, batteries, etc. so we can weather both the storm and possible brownout. Growing up on the Texas Gulf Coast certainly teaches you the drill, so we are always in a state of preparedness especially being on a small island. We will get hammered by the winds a little and pelted with more rains but the landfall will be North of us and storm serge should be minimum at best as this is a small one and we will be on the backside of the headwinds. Just another day in paradise here in the land of the never ending Summer. :biggrin_01: 

I hope you guys who are North of us and in the path of the worst of this storm fair well. Remember It is always best to stay in place and just ride-out a storm at home if all together possible, and certainly try not to travel after dark. If your situated on really lowlands then seek higher ground as even a slight storm serge accompanied by heavy sustained rainfall can change your fortunes quickly once the flooding of lowlands begin and river banks begin to overflow. Use due diligence and by all means stay safe.  

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

I hope you guys who are North of us and in the path of the worst of this storm fair well.

Sounds like you're well prepared James (knew you would be).

There's really no threat from this storm (in my opinion) unless you're in a flood- or landslide -prone area.

As far as the path I think they're expecting landfall this evening or very early Monday in Surigao del Sur, so actually south of those of us in Surigao del Norte.

High tide's at 2:05 pm but my boat jetty in the river's already underwater (and so are my neighbors).

Think Butuan and Camiguin are next up for the heavy rains.

Edited by BossHog

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you're well prepared James (knew you would be).

There's really no threat from this storm (in my opinion) unless you're in a flood- or landslide -prone area.

As far as the path I think they're expecting landfall this evening or very early Monday in Surigao del Sur, so actually south of those of us in Surigao del Norte.

Think Butuan and Camiguin are next up for the heavy rains.

Latest track as of 11 am:

attachicon.giftrack (1).png

I suspect there will be a few new houseboats travelling the rivers hereabouts. Sendong got about 500 of them in this area, as people would not leave their homes.

After Sendong we were delivering food and blankets to victims. I heard of this lady holed up in a remote chapel who had lost her husband and 3 children (She had 9 children). We went to the chapel and this girl greeted us. I did not believe it was her at first because she looked much too young to be the mother of 9, and did not act as though she was upset. Well, it was her.

Turns out she and her husband had waited for the last minute to vacate. The hubby helped her and the older kids to the shore, then led the carabao to safety. Only then did he return to the house for the three younger children. 

The wife and older children waved as the hubby and three younger children floated on down the river in the house, never to be seen alive again.

Edited by shadow
3 people like this

Steady but not hard rain here...windy tv shows some hard stuff coming but so far its just a normal day

Posted (edited)

Cagdiano out on Dinagat is reporting 295 mm of rain in the past 12 hours alone.

That's 11 and a half inches for you non-metric folk.

post-5791-0-24148800-1483848300_thumb.jpg

http://climatex.dost.gov.ph

Edited by BossHog
3 people like this

It's been raining steadily here since this morning. Looks like it's here for the day. Not heavy at all, just relentless.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Cagdiano out on Dinagat is reporting 295 mm of rain in the past 12 hours alone.

That's 11 and a half inches for you non-metric folk.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

http://climatex.dost.gov.ph

Everyone we know on Dinagat Island and our farm are safe. Our farm is located on high ground between the towns of Cagdiano and Cabunga-an on Dinagat Island and we have no standing structure yet built on our small beach lot in Tagbiriayan so all is well for us there. Here on this little island in Day-asan I have a small mountainous range and small islands between us and the open ocean which will help block us from most heavy winds, and our boat is already moored on the backside of this island so we will easily ride this one out. I will only need to walk out and get on the boat to bucket out the rainwater during the day and on through this evening to keep the boat motor from being submerged. Our little house here sits on the South side of the two story concrete structure of the lobster facility, this places the large two-story concrete structure between us and the open sea which will help prevent wind damage to the house. We also chose to build the nepa roof covering the facility between the first and second floor of the facility, so any wind damage should be held to a minimum if any. Tidal surge from a storm would be an issue but wave and wind damage would be minimum, so if we were hit by a big typhoon the house would have heavy water damage but should still remain standing. 

This Youtube video I shot just before we moved to this little island to start work on the facility. The workers were still finishing the construction on the little house. You can see by watching the video what the topography is here on the island in relationship to the mountain range and local islands. The little house faces South of the facility and the Surigao inlet to the Surigao Straights.

We are at the Northern most point of Mindanao. We are well shielded from most heavy winds from major storms but we have little protection from tidal surges and would have to evacuate to either Surigao City or to our farm on Dinagat Island which is an hour away by boat. If we were to be in the projected path of a big storm we could be completely packed, boat loaded and in route to safer ground within only a few hours. You can always just rebuild what is damaged and replace appliances and stuff left behind. We would only take that with is most important, most valued or irreplaceable so we can easily relocate with only a little warning in advance.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
1 person likes this

Please note the winds are only 20-25 knots this isn't any kind of typhoon and not even a tropical storm. But it sure is raining some!

post-5791-0-20272000-1483862382_thumb.gif

1 person likes this