senseless

Can you run a business out of a condo?

senseless    967

All it would take is another jealous condo owner to complain to the condo association

Hence why I'm asking what the contract of sale says :) -- If the contract of sale doesn't forbid it -- what will they do? Every unit owner is bound by the same rules. Rules are all optionally enforced as we know.. But if there is no rule, there is no issue.

Lee    17,000

All it would take is another jealous condo owner to complain to the condo association

(which almost certainly will happen)

and *poof* there goes your business

heaven help you if you flood the units below you due to a washing machine malfunction

nah man, I'm just a negative nancy... it's a great idea

run (don't walk) go out today and buy a couple of machines and enough powdered laundry detergent to make Pablo Escobar jealous and wash those tighty-whities 'till your hearts content

Well, whatever happens your potential business is a unique one, but there's a reason no one has come up with a condo laundry based service, but there's a reason for that. I wonder what would happen when you try to get a mayor's business permit?

Personally you might have better luck starting a small condo based daycare service. You need very little start-up funds to start a daycare so if it doesn't work no harm, no foul.

I wish you the best of luck.

I do not know about all buildings but ours has drains in the floors, all it would take is to add a drain pan under the washers which is attached to the drain pipe and any possible leaks would be solved, I had that already planned into our kitchen to washroom renovation before the wife told me to not bother since we will not be living full time in the Philippines. 

Also as for leaks, my friend in our building had a hose break and flooded his apartment to the point that it ran out into the hallway, no water went down to the neighbor below, I guess if the buildings are built correctly and everything is made of concrete and tiles then water should not leak down.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 2

+oztony    26,739

You have got more chance of stopping the tide from coming in , than you have of doing what you are suggesting ......

• Like 2

Lee    17,000

Hence why I'm asking what the contract of sale says :) -- If the contract of sale doesn't forbid it -- what will they do? Every unit owner is bound by the same rules. Rules are all optionally enforced as we know.. But if there is no rule, there is no issue.

It is not the contract of sale you have to worry about, it is the condo documents (Rules)..

• Like 3

senseless    967

It is not the contract of sale you have to worry about, it is the condo documents (Rules)..

In my previous purchases the rules were laid out in the contract of sale. Rules like no pigs/chickens, no nipa huts, minimum house value, etc -- but that was for land. This would be my first condo purchase -- I had assumed (incorrectly?) that it would be the same.

• Like 1

miles-high    3,788

But if there is no rule, there is no issue.

The condo assoc can easily change/modify the rules ex post facto… At lease many condos in NCR have annex buildings behind the main buildings for commercial enterprises, e.g., laundry, 7/11, travel agent… Perhaps, it would be safer to look for a condo with a commercial annex bldg….

• Like 2

Kahuna    33,530

What's the water situation like? Do they have a storage tank for the times when the water isn't running?  How much water will you be using and will the other tenants be happy with you for draining what's supposed to be a system for personal usage and not commercial?  

I ask because where I was staying we had to collect water in the evening  so we had it for the next day and if your condo uses a storage tank then you are tapping into everyone's water. 

Buko Beach    4,785

OK, fair enough about the rule thingy. If your condo rules do not state you can't open a business, and you go ahead and try it, I would bet the crab mentality would quickly throw a monkey wrench into your plans.

I would imagine someone who has a yaya in your building would try to undercut your business model if they feel there's any money in it. While you run a washing machine with electricity to pay for, the locals would get their yaya to hand wash for free (they would pay the yaya no additional money to wash other people's clothes). You can't compete against free, can you?

• Like 2

HTM    3,669

Last time I registered one they cared more about the name than the location. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue. Have you tried to register one in a condo?

That is when you register a business in DTI or SEC, I talk about the business permit. (The Mayor's Business Permit)

LIST OF REQUIREMENT FOR NEW MAYOR’S BUSINESS PERMIT:

I. For issuance of Assessment for Payments

Duly filled-up and notarized application form (must be signed by the owner if Single Proprietor and by the representative if (Corporation/ Partnership/ Cooperative)

Photocopy of one valid ID of the signatory

Personal proof of billing of owner (if single proprietor)

Picture of the business location that includes the nearby establishments

For single proprietorship

– Certified True Copy of Department of Trade and Industry Registration Certificate

For partnerships or corporations

– Certified True Copy of Certificate of Registration from the Securities and Exchange Commission, and Articles of Incorporation and By-laws

– Original Copy of Secretary Certificate or Board Resolution of Authorized Representative if signatory is not one of the incorporator

For cooperatives

– Certified True Copy of Certificate from the Cooperative Development Authority, Articles of Cooperative and By-laws; - Original Copy of Secretary Certificate or Board Resolution of Authorized Representative

II. For the issuance of Mayor’s Business Permit

Assessment Sheet

Original Copy of Official Receipts of payment for business taxes, fees and charges

Original Copy of Community Tax Certificate of the current year

III. For verification of requirements (must be complied within 60 days from the issuance of Mayor’s Business Permit) - Submit original and photocopy of the following documents:

All of the documents enumerated under I and II above

Barangay Clearance with the official receipt of payment

SSS, PHILHEALTH, and PAG-IBIG Clearance

Sanitary Permit together of the List of Employees duly certified by the City Health Officer

Fire Safety Inspection Certificate

Real Property Tax Clearance or Certificate of NO DELINQUENCY of the immediately preceding year, if the property is owned by the applicant OR Contract of Lease if renting the building and/or land (submit 2 photocopies)

Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), BIR issued Certificate of Registration (COR), Proof of Payment of BIR Annual Registration Fee of Php500.00 per establishment

Community Tax Certificate of Employees

Occupational Tax and Professional Tax of Employees

Official Receipt of the Registration of Weights and Measures if engaging with Weights and Measures

Other Requirements from National and/or Local Government Agencies as the case maybe (Additional Requirements based from the Joint Inspection Team Remarks)

NOTE: The Mayor’s Business Permit for New Application issued will be revoked after sixty (60) days if all the mandatory requirements are not fully complied with.

And it must be renewed annually.

Edited by HTM
must be renewed
  • Like 1

Lee    17,000

What's the water situation like? Do they have a storage tank for the times when the water isn't running?  How much water will you be using and will the other tenants be happy with you for draining what's supposed to be a system for personal usage and not commercial?  

I ask because where I was staying we had to collect water in the evening  so we had it for the next day and if your condo uses a storage tank then you are tapping into everyone's water. 

I do not know about all buildings but I suspect most condos would have to be like ours with a tank on the roof in order to have water pressure. 

• Like 1