• Elite
  • 2,313 posts
  • 427 thanks
  • 114 topics
  • Local time: 04:17 AM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

Has anyone read their contract of sale for a condo?

If so, Are there any provisions in your contract that would prevent you from running a business inside of your unit? And, would you mind taking a picture of the clause and posting it for me?

Edit:

Wife wants to start a laundry service. I was thinking the most effective thing to do would be to purchase units to contain the washers / driers and then offering free pick up and delivery to other unit owners.

Edited by senseless, 02 January 2017 - 10:11 AM .

#2 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part of each yr in Cebu

• Diamond Sponsor
  • 11,994 posts
  • 3348 thanks
  • 2,513 topics
  • Local time: 03:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Has anyone read their contract of sale for a condo?

If so, Are there any provisions in your contract that would prevent you from running a business inside of your unit? And, would you mind taking a picture of the clause and posting it for me?

Edit:

Wife wants to start a laundry service. I was thinking the most effective thing to do would be to purchase units to contain the washers / driers and then offering free pick up and delivery to other unit owners.

The higher end the building, the less likely they would likely allow it. I do not have my condo docs with me or I would research it for you and post it but like just about everything else in the Philippines, it is a matter of whether anyone even bothers to enforce any rules. In our building there was (I do not know if there still is, since I did not use them) a place that did what your wife wants to do and there is also a water distributor, not sure if he gets deliveries or has his own filtering device or for all I know he uses tap water to fill his bottles, that would not surprise me either. 

Most average units do not contain washers and dryers, dryers burn a lot of electric, you might wish to hang clothing out to dry, that would also not be allowed in higher end buildings but it seems the management does not enforce what they cannot see, my wife hangs ours out at night and takes it in when morning comes...

• senseless likes this

People inspire you or they drain you, pick them wisely.

Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many. 

Thanked by 1 Member:
senseless

#3 Skywalker

Skywalker

Living in Cebu for 5 years. That's a lot of Cheval Rouge.

• Elite
  • 10,698 posts
  • 2807 thanks
  • 258 topics
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

*sigh*

Ask yourself this, would you be happy in a condo, where the unit directly above yours was running washing machines 24/7?

Rent a small commercial unit and take it from there.

Common sense should prevail here.

Profit margins are very small with a laundry, it doesn't take much to go wrong before...........anyway good luck.
  • Monsoon, toshi, streak03 and 7 others like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
smokey , senseless

#4 senseless

senseless
  • Elite
  • 2,313 posts
  • 427 thanks
  • 114 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:35 AM

*sigh*

Ask yourself this, would you be happy in a condo, where the unit directly above yours was running washing machines 24/7?

Rent a small commercial unit and take it from there.

Common sense should prevail here.

Profit margins are very small with a laundry, it doesn't take much to go wrong before...........anyway good luck.

Rental of a small commercial unit in this area is x2 the cost of the condo amortization. My second thought was to buy a small lot in a good location and cram a few apartments in over top of the clothes washing.

The vibrations / sound from the machines wouldn't be bad at all if they're properly level. Just a little off level and it will rattle the whole building. I was also considering limiting to a ground floor units.

Agreed with the profit margins. Best case scenario looking at revenue levels at around 125K/month per washer / drier pair assuming they're in use 24/7. Electric will eat up about 30% of that. But, even if it flops its a small price to pay for my peace if you know what I mean. Been trying to get my wife to do calculations of profit per employee per month. How much would hiring 1 employee generate in profit. It's not been a fruitful exercise. Her family business is in clothing manufacturing and their profit per employee per month there is around $100. She keeps telling me how good of a business it is; and I keep telling her how little money they're making per employee they employ. So, this gets her off my back and it will keep me from dumping a ton of money into paying for employees that generate no profit. Then I show her how I make around $3,000 profit per month per employee and the only thing she can say is 'well thats you'. :banghead:

Edited by senseless, 02 January 2017 - 10:50 AM .

• oscarpears likes this

#5 Lee

Lee

• Diamond Sponsor
  • 11,994 posts
  • 3348 thanks
  • 2,513 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

I had a washing machine in our Cebu unit and the downstairs neighbor did not hear it running, of course I put it on carpet but nowadays the wife prefers to wash clothing by hand even when I was going to set up a washer and dryer room for her in place of our second kitchen.

We also live in a condo in Florida and we never hear our neighbors washer or dryer running and we have not gotten any complaints from our downstairs neighbor when ours runs and she has complained in the past about our female company walking with regular shoes and clocking on the floor, so I am going to guess she does not hear it. 

• senseless and richard_ost like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
senseless

#6 Skywalker

Skywalker

Living in Cebu for 5 years. That's a lot of Cheval Rouge.

• Elite
  • 10,698 posts
  • 2807 thanks
  • 258 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

.....my wife hangs ours out at night and takes it in when morning comes...

How do you manage to avoid the maelstrom of pollution, that apparently pervades the whole City, from settling on your freshly laundered clothes? Ho Ho Ho.

I hang my stuff on a clothes horse in my unit, it dries so quickly. I wouldn't have a drier, not only do they burn electricity, they have a nasty habit of burning down buildings!

Edit: I have a commercial washing machine at my house. We keep it outside, on a concrete and tile area. It makes a lot of noise. Don't confuse commercial with residential machines. Where is the Laundromat King Matrix when we need him!

Edited by Skywalker, 02 January 2017 - 10:54 AM .

• Lee and Buko Beach like this

#7 Lee

Lee

• Diamond Sponsor
  • 11,994 posts
  • 3348 thanks
  • 2,513 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

How do you manage to avoid the maelstrom of pollution, that apparently pervades the whole City, from settling on your freshly laundered clothes? Ho Ho Ho.

I hang my stuff on a clothes horse in my unit, it dries so quickly. I wouldn't have a drier, not only do they burn electricity, they have a nasty habit of burning down buildings!

The pollution seems to be worse in the daytime, less vehicles running at night and less idiots burning garbage at night but point taken. :wink:

I should add that not every condo building has balconies, few we looked at in Cebu did.  

• Skywalker likes this

#8 HTM

HTM

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

• +Global Mod
  • 3,624 posts
  • 1030 thanks
  • 208 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

Your problem is the business permit!

• Lee and Skywalker like this

إن شاء الله

Muslims are exempted from Philippine laws prohibiting polygamy and divorce.
Code of Muslim Personal Laws of the Philippines

Thanked by 1 Member:
smokey

#9 Buko Beach

Buko Beach
  • Elite
  • 1,394 posts
  • 333 thanks
  • 28 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

All it would take is another jealous condo owner to complain to the condo association

(which almost certainly will happen)

and *poof* there goes your business

heaven help you if you flood the units below you due to a washing machine malfunction

nah man, I'm just a negative nancy... it's a great idea

run (don't walk) go out today and buy a couple of machines and enough powdered laundry detergent to make Pablo Escobar jealous and wash those tighty-whities 'till your hearts content

Well, whatever happens your potential business is a unique one, but there's a reason no one has come up with a condo laundry based service, but there's a reason for that. I wonder what would happen when you try to get a mayor's business permit?

Personally you might have better luck starting a small condo based daycare service. You need very little start-up funds to start a daycare so if it doesn't work no harm, no foul.

I wish you the best of luck.

#10 senseless

senseless
  • Elite
  • 2,313 posts
  • 427 thanks
  • 114 topics

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Your problem is the business permit!

Last time I registered one they cared more about the name than the location. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue. Have you tried to register one in a condo?

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea