rep1

Where to find a Quality Condo Builder

61 posts in this topic

This topic was MUCH more interesting BEFORE it got side tracked to talk about Chinese collapses.  Does anyone have any more Cebu experience to give? 

Edited by to_dave007
2 people like this

This topic was MUCH more interesting BEFORE it got side tracked to talk about Chinese collapses.  Does anyone have any more Cebu experience to give? 

Hope there is because this is a good topic that might help some a lot...

2 people like this

the topic is supposedly to be about picking good developers, which can be easily done by blacklisting all the bad ones: bad sales, bad service, troubled financial capability, bad construction practice, etc, etc.

I'm not interested in a poll, just stat the current problems and potential problems. Surely you have seen the differences between how good ones and bad ones do things? They all have the same consulting firms and designers, but the real subcontractors who do work make a huge difference. Yet it doesn't matter to most buyers, they'd buy anyway and that's why there are so many bad developers thriving in this country.

If you don't care, why bother with this topic? Or you can offer us some insight on how to properly evaluate the safety of ground and support, instead of making simple judgement from obvious incidents? Since I'm no expert all I could do is to exclude any developer with a spot on their past records, as any rational buyer would do.

Your problem is that you want to exclude developers based on as little as one anecdotal internet complaint. You're looking for perfection, which isn't realistic. No rational buyer would exclude a developer because of one complaint.

There is no perfect developer anywhere on the planet, much less in the Philippines.

I can document building collapses in the USA, Britain, China, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, South Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Middle East, etcetera.

Luzon has experienced numerous earthquakes, yet I haven't heard of any of its many high-rise structures toppling to the ground. Cebu experienced a powerful earthquake in October of 2013, yet none of its high-rise buildings collapsed.

Paranoia and fearmongering are not helpful to the conversation here.

Ayala is probably the best overall, but an internet search will reveal a few complaints about them also. So by your logic even the best developer in the country must be excluded, therefore nobody should buy anything I guess.

Also, not everybody can afford to buy from Ayala, since they're geared toward upscale, high-end condo projects. They have little to offer the many people seeking a budget/economy priced condo. So if you're looking for something in the lower price range, you'll have to go with a different developer.

2 people like this

Where to find a Quality Condo Builder

Define quality?

Define quality?

life is a gamble so finding the perfect condo in the perfect location for the perfect price is as easy as finding the perfect wife.. EACH builder hires SUB contractors and not always the same ones to do the work so what the question should be is what developers will come in a repair shoddy work for the customer if he or she complains .. at no cost to them

1 person likes this

Mabolo Garden Flats - Primary Homes

When I read about this Mabolo Garden Flats development, it appears that some of the early units may be rented "boarding house style" to BPO workers.  I saw floor plans with two double decker beds in a studio.  Makes sense as no BPO worker could afford the 20,000 a month rents I saw asked for 1BR units.  I would imagine that some units may actually have MORE that 4 persons to a unit to make BPO worker rent as affordable as possible.

IF (!!) this is the case, I would expect the elevator system to be a bit undersized.  I doubt they planned for so many people.

Anyone with more direct experience?

life is a gamble so finding the perfect condo in the perfect location for the perfect price is as easy as finding the perfect wife.. EACH builder hires SUB contractors and not always the same ones to do the work so what the question should be is what developers will come in a repair shoddy work for the customer if he or she complains .. at no cost to them

For a lot of LINC members, being older, I should think that quality and sizing of the elevator system would also be an issue.  I know more than one LINC member (me included) who would bitch about having to walk up and down 10 flights of stairs if power fails, or elevator fails, or is way under sized.  I know some of this is an operational issue, but not all.

Edited by to_dave007

When I read about this Mabolo Garden Flats development, it appears that some of the early units may be rented "boarding house style" to BPO workers.  I saw floor plans with two double decker beds in a studio.  Makes sense as no BPO worker could afford the 20,000 a month rents I saw asked for 1BR units.  I would imagine that some units may actually have MORE that 4 persons to a unit to make BPO worker rent as affordable as possible.

IF (!!) this is the case, I would expect the elevator system to be a bit undersized.  I doubt they planned for so many people.

For a lot of LINC members, being older, I should think that quality and sizing of the elevator system would also be an issue.  I know more than one LINC member (me included) who would bitch about having to walk up and down 10 flights of stairs if power fails, or elevator fails, or is way under sized.  I know some of this is an operational issue, but not all.

Mabolo Garden Flats (MGF) only has 314 units in the entire building, which is pretty low density.

They have 4 high-speed elevators, more than enough for a low density building. I've seen condo buildings with over twice that many units, that have only 2 elevators.

Modern condominium buildings in the Philippines, including MGF, have backup generators that power the elevators during power outages.

2 people like this

I have visited an office building with more than 6 active elevators for only 10 or 12 floors. Waiting time were about 15 minutes every time I went there.

It has more to do with numbers of users, which is why I avoided IT Park.

A typical large condo here has 100-200 units per elevator, not designed for full or half capacity anyway. It might make more sense to pick those unfavorable by their working-class rather than counting the number of elevators.

Elevator weight capacity is usually around 2500 lbs max, thus each elevator could hold more weight than locals who could fit in it. Many of us think with our first world minds, in first worlds most people may average 200 lbs plus, most Filipinos I have met are not even 100 lbs, thus two elevators are plenty if they both are working and in a country where few locals are in a rush, well except when it comes time to get into the elevators, then they sure do seem like they are in a rush to even beat out those who are trying to get out at the same time.  :blink:

Let me add, more elevators means more repair costs for those elevators, keep that in mind for buildings that have more, the condo monthly fees will no doubt be much higher as well. 

2 people like this

Any comment on Marco Polo Parkview and Federal Land Inc.?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk