• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

oztony

Smuggled Rice Worth $28 million Seized In China

17 posts in this topic

"China are the largest importer of rice and the eleventh largest exporter. China are the second largest producer of rice but unable to produce enough to meet demand"

I must be missing something here.

They eat a lot of rice

1 person likes this

My wife tells me they were so poor that they would hang a chicken leg from the dining room light bulb and swing it in a circle. When the shadow crossed their plate they would sop up the sauce with their rice....

3 people like this

My wife can eat anything she wants but still eats rice 2-3 times a day. Corn is cheaper than rice in the Philippines and mungo beans don't cost much more than rice and both are tastier imo. I like steamed rice once in awhile, but 3x per day?? No way. It seems like almost a religion with some of them. I've watched in awe many times as peenoys fluff, stack, and then pinch off a glob with their fingers, sometimes looking at it and deciding it's not quite right,  then putting it back and re fluffing and stacking their little pile. Crazy.

A kid grows up surviving on rice....every meal is rice because it is what's sold on every corner and every sari2x store and it is what their parents buy (because it is a staple food).....miss a few of those meals and you are dead. They know they can survive on rice, they don't know if they can survive on corn or mungos and they don't have the luxury of being able to find out if they can. For many it is quite literally, "No rice = death". (If they didn't grow up living like that there is a good chance someone in the last generation or two of their family did and pushed these ideas down.) 

Growing up in that kind of poverty (or being told about that kind of poverty every day by their parents or grandparents) is going to leave a few psychological "scars" when it comes to food, among many other things. 

1 person likes this

I don't think it's nearly that extreme but they are addicted to the sugar rush rice gives them.  My wife can go for a while in the US without it.  She tries to tell me it's just like potatoes with us but I ask her a few questions and realizes it's not the same.  Questions like, have I ever looked at with crazy eyes saying, "I need potatoes!!"?  Do I each potatoes with every meal?  Do I ever look at a table of food and say, "but where are the potatoes?"

1 person likes this

I ate Uncle Ben's rice in SC as a kid, with butter, one of my favorite foods.

How many here crave western style bread?

I have been pursuing white corn meal locally for 10 years now to make white corn bread.

I can make yellow corn bread, but it is not what I grew up with.

I remember it was said the Thai rice fields could feed the world, and I witnessed harvesting near Bangkok by giant harvesters that were working fields 1 km wide, and estimate 5 KM long.

Corn, rice, and cereal grains are what enabled civilization to build large cities, and have large workforce.

Cebu has  corn eating people, but not so much farming it now.

I ate Uncle Ben's rice in SC as a kid, with butter, one of my favorite foods.

Same here. I was surprised when we moved to Texas when I was 9 and they put sugar in the rice. They had a feeding program at the school where I went because there were a lot of kids who didn't get enough to eat, and there was unlimited sweet rice for anybody who was hungry. I learned to like that too, but I still find it strange. My wife thinks that putting butter in rice is strange.

I also like butter in corn grits. I learned to eat grits with butter and fried eggs when we were stationed in New Mexico.

Edited by Headshot
1 person likes this

Fake rice exported to Asia countries from China?? Could it be true?

Fake rice an issue of life, death
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 03:52 AM July 06, 2015

Social media reports of the existence of “fake rice” in some Asian countries have set off alarm bells against the entry of the staple laced with poisonous resin into their shores.

The Straits Times of Singapore has reported that plastic rice, made from potatoes and sweet potatoes with synthetic resin molded into the shape of real rice, is said to have made its way into countries with large rural populations, such as India, Indonesia and Vietnam.

The rice, allegedly produced in China, is said to stay hard after it is cooked. One such rumor said the fake rice had entered Singapore.

Health experts and dieticians have warned that consuming such grains could be lethal or seriously damage the digestive system.

News of the fake rice, commonly sold in Chinese markets, especially in Taiyuan in Shaanxi province, has been circulating on popular social media platforms, such as WhatsApp and Facebook.

Malaysia’s domestic trade ministry has said the news on fake rice, which has gone viral on the Internet, may be true or false, but the ministry “would not take such things lightly.”

Plastic resin

Sources from the rice industry said such rice would not be sold openly at supermarkets but mostly in small shops.

Wherever the fake rice may be available, Singapore’s National Heart Institute chief dietician Mary Easaw-John told the Straits Times that “some substances, such as plastic resin, are not meant to be edible and in the long run will have negative implications on the digestive system.”

According to the Times, food adulteration is a serious problem. About 300,000 people fell sick and at least six infants died in China in 2008 when Chinese milk and infant formula were found to be adulterated with melamine.

Malaysia’s health ministry was reported to be aware of the allegation circulating on social media that fake rice was being produced in China and that it was then exported to a number of Asian countries. The majority of rice imports came from Vietnam, Thailand and Pakistan.

Prominent brands

According to Health Fitness magazine, plastic rice, sold on the Chinese market that found its way into various Asian countries, was also found in many prominent brands. Many consumers have reported that such brands caused gastritis and other stomach-related diseases.

Consumers say that this kind of rice is undetectable because it comes mixed with normal rice packs. Health authorities in Singapore, Malaysia and India have put under surveillance imports of rice, but they have found that there’s no system to check the fake rice from natural rice because the former is similar to natural rice and can hardly be differentiated by its appearance.

However, when cooked, the rice remains and soup made by it forms a plastic sheath, which burns like plastic.

Officials of the Philippines’ Department of Agriculture (DA) and National Food Authority (NFA) tried to allay fears over the spread of fake rice in Asian countries by dousing reports that it had already reached the Philippines. The denial was less than reassuring.

The NFA spokesperson, Director Angel Imperial Jr., claimed that the government, through the Bureau of Plant Industry, was strictly implementing its screening and evaluation process on imported rice.

He also said that the NFA was conducting another round of evaluation of imported rice. After this process, Imperial said he was certain there was no fake rice in the NFA imports.

The DA reinforced the NFA claim that not a single grain of fake rice had slipped into the country.

[The DA and NFA claims appear to have been belied by reports of fake rice being sold not only in Davao City but also in other parts of the country. The Food and Development Center, NFA’s laboratory arm, announced on Friday that preliminary results of its tests showed that a sample from Davao City was “contaminated with dibutyl phthalate or DBP, a raw material for making flexible plastic products.”]

The Philippine is highly vulnerable to a penetration of fake rice because it imports a big portion of its imported rice from Vietnam. About 300,000 metric tons from Vietnam arrived in April.

Sufficient rice supply has been a sensitive political issue in the Philippines that can make or unmake governments. That’s why it has to import large volumes of rice from its traditional suppliers—Vietnam and Thailand—to make up for the shortfall in domestic rice production stemming from the perennial failure of its rice-self-sufficiency program.

Having failed to achieve its production goals, the government cannot afford a disastrous debacle from the failure to protect its supply against the invasion of poisonous fake rice that can decimate thousands of Filipino lives—worse than the plague.

Fake rice is a life-and-death issue, as the nation approaches the next presidential election in May next year.

http://opinion.inquirer.net/86460/fake-rice-an-issue-of-life-death