Mikala

The Agony of Buying a New Condo in the Philippines

277 posts in this topic

Try google, the list is endless.

In my own case I bought a house from Persimmon in Swindon UK, the day we moved in my son received a shock from a radiator, it was discovered that a wire in the main fuse box was touching an earth tab, which made everything live in the house, a faradays cage principle, so luckily the shock was not great, just a tingle.  5 days after moving in a huge section of the kitchen ceiling collapsed, missing my wife by seconds, due to a floor nail which had pierced a heating pipe. I can go on and on. Yes, the company did put things right, but not before having to threaten legal action. They tried to put the blame on us rather than admit bad workmanship.

All I am saying is this type of poor workmanship happens in many countries and not just solely in The Philippines.

You don't get it do you?

Small point of order, but the unit hasn't been handed over in it's complete state.

This was an inspection I think?

No it was move in time two years late read it again

2 people like this

So now it’s the middle of December, 2016 and Robinsons invited me to come inspect my new condo any time after Dec. 4th. They assured me that it would be completely ready for turnover.

So I read that as an inspection.

When they do the turnover, it's paperwork, it's official, it's obvious.

It appears to me, at least, that they are still 'tagging' which is a term indicating that various little things need to be finished off.

At least that is how I read it.  Sorry if I misunderstood.  It clearly isn't the finished unit - is it?

What skywalker may say is that there is no official signed over unit yet. That's why I said negotiate, maybe 100 K can fix the problems, start at 200.

Appear very angry.

1 person likes this

What skywalker may say is that there is no official signed over unit yet. That's why I said negotiate, maybe 100 K can fix the problems, start at 200.

Appear very angry.

Haha are you serious did you ever get a Chinese give you money back once it's in there pocket?

2 people like this

Great thanks for letting us know Robinson is full of shit.

We have similar problems with our new office Avenir, though to a much lesser degree (no usability concerns). Their manager is excellent and more than helpful, but the way subcontractors do things is beyond my imagination.

I'm certain your condo is not reinforced by piles of empty bottles or garbage, however. My faith on condo here still holds. Can't say the same about my country.

Several times I've asked Robinsons Land to simply refund my monies and they can sell the condo to someone else. I can hope they'll agree to that, but suspect it would require several years of court time and lawyer fees.

How are they supposed to do that? If you have the title you're the one who can sell, not them. If they haven't given you title yet, perhaps it's loaned out? Did you pay in full upfront? Seller has to pay 12% of total value as tax, in addition to lawyer fees.

No it was move in time two years late read it again

Turns out it wasn't turnover.  Mike is so depressed that he's gone to Dumaguete.

Cheer up Mike, it ain't over until it's.....erm....handed over.

1 person likes this

Something else they copied from the west no doubt.

Having lived around the world, the "Squeezing every last penny out in profit and not doing a quality job" is everywhere, not just Asia and certainly not solely in The Philippines.

I could give the list of faults and add some to a new build I bought in Swindon UK. Shoddy workmanship is a worldwide problem, to infer it only or always happens in the Philippines is being short sighted in my opinion.

well heck fire come to my house and find any flaws in construction .. it can be done they just don't want to do it I bet my steel is about the same size as they used... quality cost money  and very few want quality they want cheapest they can get..my whole house is 1,2,3 mix cement that means I used lots of cement enough to build two houses

4 people like this

That a good read for some one who wants to buy any thing here don't, just rent unless you have a lot of patience and a easy going guy, with lots of money to throw around.

the price of purchase here is 10 years of rent. In Taiwan it's 40 years. Also the price has been steadily raising. If you don't buy now you may not be able to afford any a decade later. Also the core city part is being filled up.

I have yet to see any Ayala condo buyer complain about quality issues (can't find any review in fact, positive or negative)

1 person likes this

Well thats a totally different experience to my condo purchase, everything was as contracted, turnover was the

month originally planned, dimensions, finish, contracts, fittings, everything worked and was as promised/contracted,

i was actually quite surprised at the professionalism...come to think of i im surprised every time i encounter

professionalism in the Philippines, but not that surprised.

1 person likes this

Well thats a totally different experience to my condo purchase

Developer?