Mikala

The Agony of Buying a New Condo in the Philippines

277 posts in this topic

Your so lucky to have so much knowledge and good people around to fix problems in your condo. I think KABISAY  should start consulting firm relating to buying condos in cebu . You will save many foreigners money and pain. GOOD  LUCK and have happy new year

Jesus, it looks fantastic. And the few minor issues, go with the locals just get inventive in covering up.

But seriously, I really can't understand how people can buy a condo in the PH at all. Totally overpriced and far from any interesting investment. The worst value for money. Not to mention the current political uncertainties

There is no good developer. Even the biggest and most "experienced" are only as good as the subcontractor.

Buying as pre sales or under construction, is a absolute no go.

If you really want to buy a condo, by one second hand and at least 5 years old. Only than you will know what you get.

And you can find some bargains, if you have the right bank connection.

Most Developers are owned by Banks or the other way around. The Market is run by the usual Families. This conglomerates (Ayala, Robinsons, Sy, etc. etc.) own or having major stacks in the whole chain. From land owning companies, developers, construction, financing, maintaining....

In most cases it's a ripped off from A-Z and for as long as you own the condo.

Don't think it stops once you paid off.

One example, a big development in Mabolo/Kasambagan. 600 units completed, 600 to come. Apart from living on a construction site (24/7) for years. They charge you a minimum water fee of 250php p.m. for a max. 2 person Studio 2,5qbm included. This "free" amount is priced from the supplier with roughly 100php, but to use 2,5 cub with 2 people is almost impossible.

So they make 600 x 150 php = 90.000php p.m., soon 180.000php or 2.16 million per year pocket money with cost of less than 100k. Not even taking the higher charge (profit) for bigger units in account.

That's a nice brand new car for the CEO's child, every year.

If you have complaints or you waste your money and time on a legal approach, they give you a nice run around.

I could go on for ages with more examples.

3 people like this

overpriced? You haven't visited HK, TW or SK. Our new condos are such nobody before 80 or earn 6 digits salary in dollars could afford, and they don't have small units like 60 or 80sqm (= the larger ones here). 30 million pesos for a 30 years old, structurally unsafe with leaking and gray surface due to lack of cleaning, is, in fact very common.

You could go on with all the complaints, but I doubt there are many more viable ones in East and SE asia in terms of initial cost, maintenance, tax and location.

2 people like this

Last week Friday, I finally managed to get a re-inspection of my condo. This was done with the Robinsons Land realtor that sold me the over-priced unit. He told me that he'd arrange an engineer and that most of the items I listed were fixed. So the wife and I caught another Cebu-Pathetic flight out of Dumaguete over to view the place. Got there and there's no engineer available, plus the condo manager is missing. I got to view the unit with the wife and brother-in-law and it actually looked WORSE than the first time. They'd fixed a few things, but while they attempted to half-assed clean the concrete splashed onto the restroom floor tiles, they ended up damaging the floor tiles! :o

Here's the updated list of problems, plus, at the end, there are the problems that they fixed:

1. Emergency fire sprinkler bezels are painted over
  2. Cement or grout splashed onto the CR floor tiles (both)
  3. Condo exterior walls have an inconsistent thickness. For example, the balcony door is attached to the wall and clearly shows the wall is perhaps 1 inch thicker at the top, than at the middle, but the bottom becomes thick again near the floor. Also applies to both bedrooms and the window installations are effected. This is an earthquake concern and the seismic design of the building has been violated (doesn't meet design requirements).
  4. Balcony railings and floor tiling have  concrete splashes all over them.
  5. Concrete splashes on all windows and balcony door glass.
  6. Air conditioning cage concrete protrusions (horizontal surfaces) are not level (skewed by upwards of 4-5 inches)
  7. Air conditioning cages are not secured properly to the upper and lower concrete protrusions. Screws are either missing or just the tips of the long screws actually are attached (due to #12). Mortar extensions being installed (as of 12/30/2016) are a short term solution that might last 2 years, if I'm lucky. Would like to see aluminum cage modified to fit.
  8. Plenty of concrete bits and pieces are on the horizontal surfaces of the air conditioning cages.
  9. Closets in both bedrooms haven't been completed and extra parts for the bar are laying on top of the drawers in the closets.
  10. Blue plastic film on windows, balcony door and balcony railings have not been removed. Interior blue plastic film also not removed on window handles in guest bedroom.
  11. Master CR water piping isn't straight, therefore the pipe fittings will leak in the near future. PVC pipe fittings must be installed straight to prevent leakage.
  12. Balcony base concrete is not completely painted and the concrete finish (render) is very poor quality/cracking.
  13. Molding around Master Bedroom to CR door is damaged in the upper left corner.
  14. No 20A circuit installed for 2-burner electric range. All wiring is same size and all circuit breakers are 10A. Does not match public advertisement for condo (on Robinsons Land website). Advert: "Electrical load provision of 20 amp for 2-burner electric cook-top"
  15. Concern that floors are not plumb/level
  16. Concern that condo dimensions are not accurate
  17. Concern that electrical wire size is too small for rated load (could cause a fire)
    1. A 1-1/2 HP air conditioning needs a wire size of 14 AWG per electrical code (26-30 deg. C ambient temperature).
    2. Smallest water heater (1,500 watts) needs 16 AWG wire size
    3. Circuit breakers all sized at 10A and 220V require 16 AWG to supply that 80% current continuously.
    4. Were wires installed in conduit? What size?
  18. Master bedroom closet has wood cut on upper face
  19. Guest bathroom door molding is cut off very high near floor.
  20. Master bathroom floor tiling is missing grout in some places
  21. Front door viewer is cracked/broken
  22. Concern that Generator 20A (MTS B20) circuit breaker is missing a mechanical interlock that prevents closing both circuit breakers at the same time. This is dual purpose to prevent motoring the generator (thus damaging the generator) and also to prevent energizing the line (commercial power) from the generator, which might endanger human lives.
  23. Small square silver tiles in CRs are not straight / consistent
  24. Kitchen water gate valve (under the sink) is missing a bezel
  25. Concrete splashed onto the bottom of the CR door moldings. Needs cleaning / repainting
  26. Excess exterior paint slopped onto window frames and balcony light
  27. Guest CR shower support tile is chipped near the bezel.
  28. Both CR floor tiles are chipped (possibly from concrete removal efforts)

1. Verify initial electric meter reading ___________________

1. Verify initial water meter reading   ___________________

Note: Take wireless snake camera, multi-head screwdriver, tape measure, flashlight

Completed:

1. Electrical distribution box is missing its cover
  2. Under the kitchen sink has not been finished / painted
  3. Guest CR has a leak in either the sink or toilet (water pooled on the floor)
  4. Guest CR has a missing ceiling access cover
  5. Guest CR shower bar is not attached securely to the wall (see also #21)
  6. Water gate valves in both CRs have a broken wall opening that needs finishing and painting.
  7. Underside of both CR sinks has not been enclosed.
  8. Guest CR and kitchen paint around the grouted surfaces is scuffed (needs repainting / touch-up)
  9. Guest CR tile near shower bar has a broken tile (where the railing is loose)
  10. High concern that windows and patio doors are not plumb / level (verified plumb 12/30/2016)
  11. Concern that interior walls aren't plumb/level (verified plumb 12/30/2016)

Really people are defending this stuff (the pictures)? It doesn't even look "new", looks like its been abused by a family of 10 for a few years already. I would be extremely disappointed having paid the big money he did in good faith, I'd be mad too but these days I don't bother getting mad in PH, it solves nothing. Hope you can get it sorted, but I know how it works, every fix you have them do they will inadvertently screw something new up, they will wear you down, and you will throw your hands up and say feck it I just want to move in already.

2 people like this

I feel bad that Mikala is having so many issues with his.

No worries Lee! I moved in yesterday. More photos and details as soon as I unpack my computer. Of course less than half of the item were fixed.

6 people like this

No worries Lee! I moved in yesterday. More photos and details as soon as I unpack my computer. Of course less than half of the item were fixed.

1. Are they still willing to work on fixing at least some of the other items?

2. Did you ask them about a cash settlement to help you pay for anything they're unwilling/unable to fix?

If 1 and 2 fail, you know what to do - hire Smokey's guy. Good luck getting everything taken care of. :)

2 people like this

1. Are they still willing to work on fixing at least some of the other items? 2. Did you ask them about a cash settlement to help you pay for anything they're unwilling/unable to fix?

1. Their engineer kept a punch list of items to be worked off, but I found more items after move-in. Nothing is a big deal though and refurbishment will be forthcoming. For now, need to unpack further.

2. I didn't bother with a cash settlement. I can easily afford to just fix the items at my own expense. At least then, I can get the work done correctly. :D

7 people like this

Really people are defending this stuff (the pictures)? It doesn't even look "new", looks like its been abused by a family of 10 for a few years already. I would be extremely disappointed having paid the big money he did in good faith, I'd be mad too but these days I don't bother getting mad in PH, it solves nothing. Hope you can get it sorted, but I know how it works, every fix you have them do they will inadvertently screw something new up, they will wear you down, and you will throw your hands up and say feck it I just want to move in already.

Show me one person in this thread who's "defending this stuff". I suggested to Mikala long ago in this thread that he might want to consider hiring an attorney if he couldn't get any cooperation from the developer in doing some repairs. But it turned out that even though the photos look quite bad, it really won't cost that much for a good repairman to fix it all, which Mikala has stated himself. Hiring Smokey's guy to fix the stuff would be way cheaper than a lawyer. Mikala paid cash up front for the unit, so backing out of the deal was never an option.

2 people like this

This topic has been split. If you were discussing buying a condo follow this link: http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb/topic/101145-split-topic-buying-a-condo/#entry1336909

Further off topics will be deleted. Thank you.

Edited by USMC-Retired
1 person likes this

1. Their engineer kept a punch list of items to be worked off, but I found more items after move-in. Nothing is a big deal though and refurbishment will be forthcoming. For now, need to unpack further.

2. I didn't bother with a cash settlement. I can easily afford to just fix the items at my own expense. At least then, I can get the work done correctly. :D

Nice attitude mate, especially under the circumstances..

3 people like this