toshi

what is the best/cheapest health insurance for expats

35 posts in this topic

Also guys, don't let yourself fall into a false sense security with your Philippine Blue Cross plans. 

Say you take out a plan in January so you renew said plan each January 1st. You are given the horrible news and diagnosed with cancer on November 15. Things are looking up for you because it is very treatable - but its going to take a good 9 months  of expensive chemo and other therapies. 

Do you really think BlueCross Philippines will renew your policy come January 1? 

If you do, I've got some bridges to sell you.

Edited by Monsoon
1 person likes this

Insular life does offer renewals with existing conditions, but the wording might create some confusion. For example, if the ore existing condition was heart diseas, and then during the coverage period a NEW condition developed (cancer?) would the policy cover both if renewed? Not expecting an answer, rhetorical in nature. A heads up for those interested in Philippines based policies.

http://www.icare.net.ph

I had the best Blue Cross $2million cap dollar plan you could buy and had problems with them. 

Personally, I wouldn't trust any Philippine owned insurance company with my life. If that means I need to pay up front, so be it. I'd rather deal with a company that I could reasonably expect to hold accountable  in a legal venue that doesn't take a lifetime to resolve matters. 

What was your experience? I've only heard of bad experiences with the peso plan. From the sounds of your second post -- did they let it lapse on purpose?

I've had them for 3 or 4 years now I think? I end up going to the hospital about 2 to 3 times a year for my kid. There was one year where they did indeed pay out more in ER fees than I paid for all 3 plans. The other years are pretty profitable for them.

Edited by senseless

What was your experience?

Without getting into all the minute details, I went to the hospital to get something checked out. Doctors decided to admit me and in true Philippine health care fashion went hog wild overkill with tests.

They refused to pay a valid claim. Made excuses. They tried claiming pre-existing condition. 

I had no preexisting condition. 

There was noting wrong with me. It was a pinched nerve and cleared up on its own. 

Since that event I've had a complete comprehensive cardio physical (all day event) and my heart and circulatory system is in perfect condition. So what preexisting condition? A pinched nerve that I didn't know about whose symptoms manifested one day? Hardly. 

The hospital I went to had a resident Blue Cross rep in house and he called my room (at my request) and the excuses started to flow then. If they want to use the preexisting condition clause, they should articulate that preexisting condition. He even made the comment of, "I see you are new with Blue Cross." (I guess they consider six months is new?) So I could see right where that conversation was going, and what he was using to make his decisions - $$$,  not my condition or lack thereof. 

From the sounds of your second post -- did they let it lapse on purpose?

That was a hypothetical example. Do you really believe they would renew your plan if you were diagnosed with a chronic disease such as cancer?

For me, I don't care about paying for the runny noses, sore throats or occasional urgent care needs.  Even in the US. I want to be insured for the catastrophic things, things that would be financially draining or devastating. Blue Cross was really stupid and myopic, they tried to skate on paying a pretty low claim and missed out on years of renewals for me and many employees. I was also considering Blue Cross for the company I ran at the time with several hundred employees. Based on my experience, I strongly believe that when the chips are down Blue Cross PH wouldn't be there for you. 

1 person likes this

My health care plan : I can handle any minor issues up to say 100,000p. I have a high limit credit card for extreme emergencies and a business class ticket back to Canada for anything real serious. Not the greatest plan in the world but it will work and I don't have to worry about being hosed by a corrupt and incompetent system.

1 person likes this