toshi

what is the best/cheapest health insurance for expats

35 posts in this topic

I'm doing some research for the best and cheapest insurance, 

I am looking for some experience from your guy's

i got quoted from 4 companies, and put a deductible in of about 1500-2500

here https://www.internationalinsurance.com/compare/global-medical.php a comparison website, 

here are 4 quotes 

post-4602-0-28559200-1481775978_thumb.png

post-4602-0-22853400-1481775987_thumb.png

post-4602-0-63388700-1481775991_thumb.jpg

post-4602-0-85382100-1481775996_thumb.jpg

Edited by toshi
batman2525 and bmoore like this

It depends on if you're interested in having insurance AND still paying out of pocket. I am not interested in that. What is the point of insurance if you still need cash or credit to go to the hospital? They will let you die here. They don't care if you have a reimbursement health insurance plan. I only look at insurance companies where i pay $0 when i step into a hospital.

Pacific Cross

Blue Royal plan A with $0 deductible, no co-pay, and no reimbursement clause.. $1200/annual for 31-35 y/o & $1673/annual for 51-55 y/o

Blue Royal plan A has $500,000 USD annual coverage aggregate limit per year

Select Plus with Access S-Private with $0 deductible, no co-pay and no reimbursement clause.. 18K/annual for 31-35 & 30K/annual for 51-55 y/o

Select Plus with Access S-Private has 3M pesos annual coverage aggregate limit per year.

My family all has blue royal plan A. When we step into the hospital we show them the card and say the words 'private insurance' and they say 'right this way, Sir.'. There are horror stories with pacific cross and blue cross on this forum. Those members all have peso plans and they can be extremely stingy on peso plans always trying to not cover things. With the blue royal plan I've never experienced any issue ever. If they don't cover something they still pay the hospital and just send me a bill for it saying it wasn't covered. Fine by me.

If you check those companies you linked, they will all be by reimbursement only. The only company operating in the Philippines with no reimbursement clause that allows private accounts is pacific cross / blue cross.

Edited by senseless

Blue Royal is owned by Pacific cross by your link, yet you say you have it, but it does not pay? Please clarify.

It depends on if you're interested in having insurance AND still paying out of pocket. I am not interested in that. What is the point of insurance if you still need cash or credit to go to the hospital? They will let you die here. They don't care if you have a reimbursement health insurance plan. I only look at insurance companies where i pay $0 when i step into a hospital.

Pacific Cross

Blue Royal plan A with $0 deductible, no co-pay, and no reimbursement clause.. $1200/annual for 31-35 y/o & $1673/annual for 51-55 y/o

Blue Royal plan A has $500,000 USD annual coverage aggregate limit per year

Select Plus with Access S-Private with $0 deductible, no co-pay and no reimbursement clause.. 18K/annual for 31-35 & 30K/annual for 51-55 y/o

Select Plus with Access S-Private has 3M pesos annual coverage aggregate limit per year.

My family all has blue royal plan A. When we step into the hospital we show them the card and say the words 'private insurance' and they say 'right this way, Sir.'. There are horror stories with pacific cross and blue cross on this forum. Those members all have peso plans and they can be extremely stingy on peso plans always trying to not cover things. With the blue royal plan I've never experienced any issue ever. If they don't cover something they still pay the hospital and just send me a bill for it saying it wasn't covered. Fine by me.

If you check those companies you linked, they will all be by reimbursement only. The only company operating in the Philippines with no reimbursement clause that allows private accounts is pacific cross / blue cross.

Yeah but wouldn't you just put up a credit card along with the reimbursement card?  This is good to think about tho since I do have a reimbursement plan.

Remember also to have PhilHealth, 2400 annual

Yup. Got it. So cheap its worth having. Supposedly it works as your deposit if you are admitted.

SumDumJoe and HTM like this

Pacific Cross

Blue Royal plan A with $0 deductible, no co-pay, and no reimbursement clause.. $

Thank you for this brochure. I have studied it, but can find no information about how it works in practice when you arrive at a hospital ..? The nearest they come is a mention of "swift reimbursements" as one of the supposed benefits (page 2)... which is not exactly promising.

I can only agree that what really matters is to have the hospital deal directly with the insurer, if you should need to arrive at a hospital for some unfortunate reason.

By the way, I see the terms "peso plan" and "dollar plan" come up often, when there is talk of insurance. Pacific Cross use them on their web site. What exactly are those terms supposed to mean?

Edited by Sven

Thank you for this brochure. I have studied it, but can find no information about how it works in practice when you arrive at a hospital ..? The nearest they come is a mention of "swift reimbursements" as one of the supposed benefits (page 2)... which is not exactly promising.

I can only agree that what really matters is to have the hospital deal directly with the insurer, if you should need to arrive at a hospital for some unfortunate reason.

By the way, I see the terms "peso plan" and "dollar plan" come up often, when there is talk of insurance. Pacific Cross use them on their web site. What exactly are those terms supposed to mean?

When you walk into the hospital you hand them your card. When you're leaving they take your card and process it. Then they give your card back to you and you leave. You're supposed to ask for a receipt because they can try to overcharge your insurance and they never give me a receipt on this plan. I always ask for a receipt and they hook me up. That's it. You just walk in, give them the card, get your service, go to leave and pay as you normally would but with the insurance card. All in all takes about 5-10 minutes for them to process when I'm ready to leave.

The blue royal is a dollar plan. They give you coverage in USD amounts and charge you a bill in USD. The USD plans they offer have significantly more coverage than the peso plans.

The select plus with access is a peso plan. They give you coverage in PHP amounts and charge you a bill in PHP. The coverage is much less on the peso plan than the USD plan.

Yeah but wouldn't you just put up a credit card along with the reimbursement card?  This is good to think about tho since I do have a reimbursement plan.

For me in blue royal, no. I only need my health insurance card. They charge that and I do not ever pay a hospital a centavo directly from my own pocket. I've never used their select plus with access plan but I'm told and have read that it's the same. They pay through direct payment and there is no reimbursement process necessary -- They do offer reimbursement process if you need to use their insurance internationally. They cover you for 90 days if you leave the Philippines. With the blue royal plan B and C your insurance card is actually a CUSTOM MASTER CARD CREDIT CARD. It has the master card logo, a master card number (starts with 5, 16 digits) and all. My wife used to have the plan B.

Blue Royal is owned by Pacific cross by your link, yet you say you have it, but it does not pay? Please clarify.

Blue royal is an insurance plan not an insurance company. Pacific Cross used to be known as Blue Cross until they re branded themselves. Pacific cross is the insurance company. Blue Royal and Select Plus with Access are both health insurance plans offered by Pacific Cross.

I mentioned blue cross in case you wanted to look up what others say about it. They only changed the name of the company within the last year.

Edited by senseless
HTM and Sven like this

William Russell's is insured by Allianz and seems cheaper than Allianz itself. But I have no idea what their role is.

All plans with semi-private room are not good as I read - many countries are getting rid of semi-private room now.