fred42

Brewing beer in the boonies challenge..

26 posts in this topic

My personal challenge early next year is to brew beer only using stuff I can source locally including brewing equipment..

Ive never brewed beer before but I have made my own wine over the years so I do understand the basic principles of equipment sanitation etc.

First thing not available locally is malted Barley so this is my first challenge to attempt overcoming..

Searched all the Agrivets in town and eventually found Barley from Australia at 32 Peso per Kilo..Cheaper if you buy a 50 Kilo sack which works out at 26 Peso`s per Kilo here.

Bought 2 Kilios to experiment with..Seaped the lot in water for 12 hours,drained it for 8 hours and repeated process and roots just starting to show..Hopefully in 3/4 days it will be ready for drying out and I will have malted grain..

I`ll slowly roast half a Kilo to produce a darker malt and then mix this with the rest.

I`m looking for wheat and perhaps corn and oats (unmalted) to mix in depending on the recipe I choose for first brew..

Yeast.. Might have to go with bread yeast unless someone can suggest better local alternatives.. I made a really good white wine using bread yeast 2 years ago so I know it`s a valid option.

Hops.. 

Definitely NO hops available locally so did some reading about how they brewed beer before they used hops as a bittering agent..

One thing they used back in the day was Spruce tips and funny enough I have some quite large pine/spruce bushes in me garden!!

Equipment.. Build my own or have it made..

Build a bar in my garden..

Get rat arsed.

Any suggestions or expertise appreciated BUT..Only locally sourced product suggestions please..

Cheers!

9 people like this

Barley with the root tips just starting to come through..

WHEAT_with_shoots_starting.jpg

2 people like this

Use proper yeast if possible. If you use baking yeast, the first couple days you can let it ferment in room temperature but after that it should let ferment in cooler for a couple of weeks (less than 10oC). Using baking yeast also makes it more vulnerable for expiration, traditional beers made with baking yeast are usually drank very soon after fermentation process. Be very careful with hygiene, just a small amount of wild yiest will destroy the whole batch.

Hops is related to cannabis but that wouldn't be a recommended option... You could grow your own hops if you had the time but I guess you don't.

You could do a wit-like beer with coriander, orange peel and pinch of chamomile for aroma additions.

There are some interesting choices if found googling.

Have you come up with a certain mashing process? Step infusion mashing might be best option since you don't have guarantees about the modification level of your malt.

Get rat arsed.

Fred, wuzzin' you related to Popcorn Sutton?

150616134355-moonshine-sutton-still-exlarge-169.jpg

3 people like this

Heat is a big problem during primary fermentation. It can create some nasty flavors and potentially kill the yeast. Ideally you would be below 75F for ale.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Fred, wuzzin' you related to Popcorn Sutton?

attachicon.gif150616134355-moonshine-sutton-still-exlarge-169.jpg

I`d be honoured to be..

Heat is a big problem during primary fermentation. It can create some nasty flavors and potentially kill the yeast. Ideally you would be below 75F for ale.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah,I know..Another huge issue huh!!  

I have some pretty cool rooms in our nipa hut/house and the wine I produced before was actually damned good but with beer that might not be the case...Might buy a large Styrofoam box to put the primary vessel in and throw in a couple of bags of 2 Peso ice in daily for 2 weeks..Use the same box for secondary till I bottle it..

If things pan out I may one day order a pressurized Ref Keg for next years BB box...Imagine that..Cold draft on tap!! 

Nothing is impossible.

Use proper yeast if possible. If you use baking yeast, the first couple days you can let it ferment in room temperature but after that it should let ferment in cooler for a couple of weeks (less than 10oC). Using baking yeast also makes it more vulnerable for expiration, traditional beers made with baking yeast are usually drank very soon after fermentation process. Be very careful with hygiene, just a small amount of wild yiest will destroy the whole batch.

I wonder if Filipino`s use a more suitable dried yeast thats available here?? Ive got a couple of Sachets of Champagne yeast left over but that stuff is tolerable up to around 18% before it dies.. Never had beer that strong!! 

1 person likes this

Hops is related to cannabis but that wouldn't be a recommended option... You could grow your own hops if you had the time but I guess you don't.

Nothing but time but I doubt Hops would grow here very well.

1 person likes this

Temperature is important. If brewing lager, you'll definitely need a fridge. Maybe a second-hand Chinese-made knock off counts as "local" .....?

1 person likes this

I've had success using the dregs of beer that comes with live yeast in the bottle like some Coopers ales.

Maybe you could find some live yeast in the imported beers you see from time to time in wine shops?

KonC

2 people like this

Also, the yeast makes a big difference. Bread yeast works but does not make for good beer ...

What if you got a pack of professional brewer's yeast from abroad .. then cultivate it yourself? The second and third generation yeast would be locally born :-)

There's lots of info online about maintaining a healthy yeast population for your brewing hobby.

1 person likes this