• Triple Diamond Sponsor
  • 5,842 posts
  • 1289 thanks
  • 720 topics
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
  • My Blood Type:I cannot donate
  • Philippines:Previous resident

Posted 11 December 2016 - 2:32 PM

I guess my question has nothing to do with Cebu or PI so if not appropriate please delete…

The distance from Fort Lauderdale to Key West is about 200 miles…

Considering the holiday traffic, etc. would it be feasible to do a day trip to Key West? Mainly interested in photo/video-taking along the Keys...

Or should we stay at least one night in Key West (or a nice place nearby)?

My Filipina wife has never been to FL... Thanks…

:phil: 

• Paul likes this

#2 Dafey

Dafey
  • Emerald Sponsor
  • 1,189 posts
  • 203 thanks
  • 62 topics
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Current resident

Posted 11 December 2016 - 2:44 PM

From Miami to Key west, (south of Ft. Lauderdale), figure 4 hour drive each way. I'd spend the night.
  • Lee, miles-high and cebubird like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#3 HeyMike

HeyMike

Under The Sea In Cebu

• Sponsor
  • 6,909 posts
  • 1206 thanks
  • 15 topics

Posted 11 December 2016 - 2:52 PM

Yes, spend the night. Maybe visit one of Ernest Hemingway's favorite drinking holes.

• miles-high and Dafey like this
Become an art patron.

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#4 Richard K

Richard K
  • Elite
  • 176 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • 0 topics
  • My Blood Type:Don't know

Posted 11 December 2016 - 4:25 PM

spend the night... or 2... you won't regret it.. I kinda liked Marathon the best.. you can get a fishing charter out of there... many small keys to explore.. Duck key is pretty cool... small but really nicely kept up houses... don't eat the raw shell fish...

• ROCO22, goggleye, miles-high and 1 other like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#5 RogerDuMond

RogerDuMond

Owak Goats

• +Global Mod
  • 9,010 posts
  • 3229 thanks
  • 118 topics
  • My Blood Type:O+

Posted 11 December 2016 - 4:57 PM

Spend the night just to break up the driving. It will more than likely be the only trip you make there. Once is enough for most Floridians as there isn't much to do there unless you drink or fish. Even then, fishing is better in other parts of Florida and most probably cheaper.

• lolhahaha and miles-high like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#6 Lee

Lee

Happily married since 94 & live part of each yr in Cebu

• Diamond Sponsor
  • 11,886 posts
  • 3322 thanks
  • 2,496 topics
  • Local time: 03:02 AM
  • Philippines:No Answer

Posted 11 December 2016 - 7:38 PM

As others have said, spend the night, since 4 hours each way is only if there is no accident or break downs on the roads, we have had more than once on trips where the road was closed for hours due to accidents, or vehicles broken down causing lane closures holding up traffic, and we do not go down there very often, which makes me wonder just how often that happens.

• Dafey likes this

People inspire you or they drain you, pick them wisely.

Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many. 

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#7 ROCO22

ROCO22

Double Secret Sponsor

• Sponsor
  • 1,618 posts
  • 342 thanks
  • 136 topics
  • Local time: 02:02 AM
  • My Blood Type:A-
  • Philippines:Visited 9 times +

Posted 11 December 2016 - 8:26 PM

Plan to spend the night there or somewhere along the narrow two lane ribbon of Hwy 1....many nice layovers.

Traffic can be slow given holiday traffic, accidents and draw bridges.....luck of the draw.

Plenty of wandering manok in Key West....

Take a boat/plane ride out to Dry Tortugas (Fort Jefferson) , it's a nice break from (sometimes) hectic downtown.

Enjoy...

Attached File  key west 372.jpg   151.75KB   6 downloads  

Attached File  key west 082.jpg   366.08KB   5 downloads

Attached File  key west 184.jpg   197.2KB   5 downloads

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#8 goggleye

goggleye
  • Sponsor
  • 1,783 posts
  • 332 thanks
  • 126 topics

Posted 11 December 2016 - 9:58 PM

I just moved from there  - for sure stay a night in Key West    traffic not only gets slow but often gets stopped for hours  - there is only one way on and off on US 1   Often on a weekend year round you will sit there for and hour or two - if there is a fair in tavenier or islamarada there will be a back up and a couple hour wait and there is no way to go around  - In the winter its worse  -  If you head to key west the traffic at Big Pine key stop light backs up for miles so what seems like a 4 hour drive can stretch into a much longer ordeal    - but on the positive side  take your time - it is a beautiful place - stay and watch a sunset or sunrise on the ocean  - lots of lovely places in key west to just sit and enjoy 

• Lee and cebubird like this

Thanked by 2 Members:
miles-high , Lee

#9 Jester

Jester

Emperor of America

• Diamond Sponsor
  • 2,594 posts
  • 378 thanks
  • 202 topics
  • Local time: 08:02 PM
  • My Blood Type:No option.
  • Philippines:Visited 6 to 9 trips

Posted 11 December 2016 - 9:59 PM

I went to the keys for the first time about 25 years ago, not bad at all, as the years passed the traffic got worse and worse. I did not go for about 10 years and last year went to Key Largo (1st Key on way south) with a friend to pick up a boat. The traffic was freakin horrible, I don't know if something was going on or it is always like that.

I would think that 4 hours to Key West is rather optimistic.  On one hand the traffic is terrible on the other it is a scenic drive. I would definitely spend the night and not try to make it in one day. Plus there use to be a lot of activity's along the water front in the evening, jugglers and musicians and clowns and sword swallowers  and such, I don't know if they still do it but was a lot of fun!

I know of 2 option's, there are likely more.  Boats can be rented in FL if you might enjoy that for the trip. There is also a Ferry from Ft Myers to KEy West, however Ft Myers is on the opposite side of the state from you (this is the way I will go if I do). There are no ferry's on the east coast of FL to Key West

https://www.keywestexpress.net/

Here it is,  http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/

Yup stay the night!

Edited by Jester, 11 December 2016 - 10:03 PM .

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

#10 goggleye

goggleye
  • Sponsor
  • 1,783 posts
  • 332 thanks
  • 126 topics

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

spend the night... or 2... you won't regret it.. I kinda liked Marathon the best.. you can get a fishing charter out of there... many small keys to explore.. Duck key is pretty cool... small but really nicely kept up houses... don't eat the raw shell fish...

very nice park and beach in Marathon   turn left on sombrero beach road just past of the KMart and winn dixie,   nicest beach in the keys is Bahia honda state park   Marathon lady party fishing boat is nice  or as Richard K said lots of regular fishing charters   you can take your catch to many area restaurants and they will cook  it for you 

I went to the keys for the first time about 25 years ago, not bad at all, as the years passed the traffic got worse and worse. I did not go for about 10 years and last year went to Key Largo (1st Key on way south) with a friend to pick up a boat. The traffic was freakin horrible, I don't know if something was going on or it is always like that.

I would think that 4 hours to Key West is rather optimistic.  On one hand the traffic is terrible on the other it is a scenic drive. I would definitely spend the night and not try to make it in one day. Plus there use to be a lot of activity's along the water front in the evening, jugglers and musicians and clowns and sword swallowers  and such, I don't know if they still do it but was a lot of fun!

I know of 2 option's, there are likely more.  Boats can be rented in FL if you might enjoy that for the trip. There is also a Ferry from Ft Myers to KEy West, however Ft Myers is on the opposite side of the state from you (this is the way I will go if I do). There are no ferry's on the east coast of FL to Key West

https://www.keywestexpress.net/

Here it is,  http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/

Yup stay the night!

If you take the ferry from fort myers make sure your schedule is flexible - its not unusual for it to be delayed a day or so if the waves get up a bit  - the rental cars fly out of the agencies fast 

Thanked by 1 Member:
miles-high

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Living In Cebu Forums / Woody Paul Petrea