• Announcements

• Paul

New Members: Click Here   03/09/2017

Hello. If you are a new member, and feel a bit apprehensive about posting in the "open" forums, or, just wish to get your "sea legs" prior to posting in the open forums, feel free to post anything you wish to talk about, in the Newbies Forum. No one will bother you, or give you any sort of grief. Everyone there is happy to help you get answers to your questions.
  • Commercial Banner Advertisers

profits101

Filipinos in Hong Kong

19 posts in this topic

your wrong AQD, they make shit money!!!, and whatever little they have left they do send home.. thats true.

My understanding is that the helpers are given free room and board.

True ?

Probably better salary and environment than being a helper in the Phils.

My wife is always amazed when we are Central on a Sunday and when we walk around she tells me she can hear so many dialects being spoken by the different groups of helpers.

The area around Pedder Street/Connaught Road is really crowded with Filipinos.  Many go to Worldwide House as lots of Philippine banks and other agencies occupy several floors.  The street outside are full of shippers packing balikbayan boxes and then as the pics show thousands congregate on the footbridges in Central.  The Filipinas tend to stick to Central and Wanchai while the Indonesians tend to congregate more in Causeway Bay.  There are some good cheap Indonesian restaurant down the side streets in that area.

The Filipina domestic helpers should get a minimum wage of HK$4110 which is around US$530 or almost PHP26,000 a month.  I guess that most do as they are pretty well organised and stick up for their rights.  The really exploited helpers are the ones from Indonesia, many of whom don't get the minimum wage and don't seem to have good support systems in place.

2 people like this

My wife is always amazed when we are Central on a Sunday and when we walk around she tells me she can hear so many dialects being spoken by the different groups of helpers.

The area around Pedder Street/Connaught Road is really crowded with Filipinos.  Many go to Worldwide House as lots of Philippine banks and other agencies occupy several floors.  The street outside are full of shippers packing balikbayan boxes and then as the pics show thousands congregate on the footbridges in Central.  The Filipinas tend to stick to Central and Wanchai while the Indonesians tend to congregate more in Causeway Bay.  There are some good cheap Indonesian restaurant down the side streets in that area.

The Filipina domestic helpers should get a minimum wage of HK$4110 which is around US$530 or almost PHP26,000 a month.  I guess that most do as they are pretty well organised and stick up for their rights.  The really exploited helpers are the ones from Indonesia, many of whom don't get the minimum wage and don't seem to have good support systems in place.

This is exactly what I saw, and those are the areas where I took the pics (I had more but there is an upload limit here). Also, ditto on the expected salary per month.

On the day I was there, one street had some (what appeared to be outsider) "activists" promoting a petition having to do with rights of these OFW's... there was some, but limited interest.

I think too, their more-or-less morena appearance (especially in contract to the lighter skinned chinese) makes them a giveaway for domestic helpers. I can't even think of any filipino men I saw during  my walk on Sunday. 

The next day on Monday, I saw a little scene that cemented my impressions - bounding along on a sidewalk a couple young chinese school boys, maybe 9-10, accompanied by family... and lagging just behind them... a young filipina, maybe the height of the boys, carrying both of their backpacks...

Edited by profits101

Filipinos in Hong Kong... as of February 2015 there were 166,743 Philippine OFW in Hong Kong. On Sundays they receive a required 12 hour time-off period from their work... and they go to the streets, malls, and parks to get together with each other. Hong Kong is expensive... just like the Philippines, they entertain each other in chat, foods, dancing, singing, and many go to church in the morning... There are literally 1000's every Sunday hanging out like this... block after block, street after street, park after park, shady underpass and shady underpass. It was amazing and uniquely filipino! Never seen anything like it...

this might be a single white guys paradise  .... they all (filipinas) got passports and some workethic or they wouldnt be there .... almost zero competition...she wont have to worry about what her family back home thinks....."what happens in hong kong stays in hong.....    place probably a sheethole everyday cept sunday so it wouldnt all be gravy

On Sundays they receive a required 12 hour time-off period from their work

How very nice of the Hong Kong people to give their slaves 12 hours off a week.

they surely can if they don't send hard earned money back home to those leechers.

I knew this girl here in Davao awhile back who took a job as an OFW...She told me relatives where all coming over to her place before she left telling her to remember them...I told her Fok them and open up a local bank account where your working and deposit as much money as you can for yourself so you have something to show for all your hard work in the 2 years your gone...probably went in 1 ear and out the other...

How very nice of the Hong Kong people to give their slaves 12 hours off a week.

A domestic helper in Hong Kong must be provided at least one rest day in every period of seven days.  A rest day is a continuous period of not less than 24 hours.  I believe this is similar to a typical laborer schedule in the Philippines.

Domestic helpers are not slaves to the Hong Kong people.  They are employees under an employment contract made voluntarily between the two parties.  Domestic helpers are free to resign their positions and leave the country at any time.  There are also enforced guidelines on employing domestic helpers that must be adhered to.  Domestic helpers in Hong Kong do have rights.

Now, if your argument is that it is very unfortunate that so many Filipinos are subjected to a culture and government that leaves them little opportunity other than these low-wage occupations and being their country’s biggest export, I agree with you;  however, Honkies employing them is not the cause of that situation but one of the solutions.  It’s probably more accurate to state that Filipinos are slaves to their culture and in particular their families.

1 person likes this

Now, if your argument is

My observation is just a personal look at how the "employers" treat their filipina "employees" in public.  Reminds me of scenes from the movie Roots.  Its not a scientific argument, its more like:  If it looks like a duck and flies like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.

this might be a single white guys paradise  .... they all (filipinas) got passports and some workethic or they wouldnt be there .... almost zero competition...she wont have to worry about what her family back home thinks....."what happens in hong kong stays in hong.....    place probably a sheethole everyday cept sunday so it wouldnt all be gravy

NOT if they're anything resembling the filipinas in taiwan.

When I first came here I thought it's a different people.